Status
Not open for further replies.
Becky I had to smile. I don’t know why, but when you have a PALS on a vent, it seems like you become resident nurse, dr. and chief bottle washer. How is it the busiest amongst us end up with more caring duties? I’m so glad you could help your nurse out. And yep, she probably did get more rest at your place.

I will tell you though, helping your nurse will go a long way with you getting the help you need from her.

Praying for a nice and peaceful Easter for you both.

Hugs,

Sue

That's a good point, Sue. When she's back on her feet that nurse can show make her gratitude work. ;-)
But really, intuitively it's the only and most beautiful way to be. If you care for someone why would you not care for anyone. The best that can happen is a closely knit network where everyone looks out for one another.

Awesome Becky, great work :)

I hope you get some actual help soon though, you need rest too!

I'm wishing you the peaceful Easter you are hoping for Becky. You are a very kind person. I'm glad you are still finding those silver linings!

Well, it's been what, about six weeks, and we're preparing to leave the hospital again. Matt came down with a virus that lead to pnuemonia, and then his belly and colon filled us with gas and wouldn't give it up. We came in Monday night and were released at 10 this morning. It's now 5:15 pm and we're still waiting on transportation. He wanted me to drive him home by myself, but we're past that point.

So here's a crazy story. There is one other gentleman in our small community with ALS. We first met he and his wife in the grocery store--there's no mistaking the chair setup. He was already trached and vented, but we had a long and animated visit right there in the meat department. Well, it turns out they were in the room next to us all week and we didn't know it until today. There are only 8 beds in this ICU, but we had the curtains drawn a lot and we just never ran into each other!

If you like the hospital so much maybe rent your home in airb'n'b?
No, seriously, whew! Glad you are able to go home. Hope they drop you off soon. You must be exhausted.
Thanks for the story!

Sending Matt best wishes for feeling better and staying infection-free.

Have been thinking of you and Matt and hoping you both were doing ok. Good to hear he's home and doing better. Kate

Becky,

So glad you were able to get that cleared up and back home with Matt. You’ll get the transportation gig down soon. :). Hence the man in the grocery.

Hugs,

Sue

I hope you got home okay and I’m sorry this has been complicated.

Wow, Becky - hope you are recovering from the exhaustion! HUGS!!

Wish, you are so funny! Actually, one of the the things I play with in the back of my mind is turning this house into an accessible B&B (there aren't any others that I know of on this lake).

So, since my last post we've done one ER run and were sent him, and a second run to another hospital where he was admitted for three days. Ileus again. This time gastro got involved and said that they believe his problem is an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine creating all the gas. His diabetes, the ALS, and milk based formula set him up for it, and they suspect repeated rounds of antibiotics will be the answer because it's just going to keep happening.

Between that and his blood sugar, I ordered two cases of Liquid Hope to try it out. If it resolves some of his issues, I'll launch the battle to get insurance or the VA to cover it. It is thick, so we mixed in 100ml of water and it runs just fine through his pump.

The last hospital run was scary. He filled with so much gas that we couldn't get anything in or out of his stomach--to include his medications. It took a day and a half to get him to the point that we could get meds in, and by then he was a wreck--questioning his decision to have the trach and wanting to know about turning it off. After a couple of days back on those chemical wonder drugs he's back to happy Matt.

Talk about being blessed, the nursing agency sent nurses to sit with him in the hospital!!! I was able to leave because I trust both of the nurses completely. It was very strange not being there with him, but at this point they actually kept a closer eye on things than I was able to. It was also very, very strange to come home to an empty house.

We took Matt for a haircut yesterday and then he wanted to go to Lowes to pick out new kitchen appliances.That is the most active he's been since the trach went in. I think it also helps that both daughters have called to discuss life altering decisions they are in the process of making (he can talk with the inline Passy-Muir valve). Pete's post really drove home how important it is for our PALS to realize that they do contribute to our lives, even if their bodies have betrayed them.

Oh, back to the hospital stay. I know Im jumping around. It's interesting to watch the varying reactions by the staff to having a private duty nurse show up. Most are grateful for the help. One had a bad attitude all day, and I finally had to chew her up a bit. That's always dangerous, because I'm never sure that once I start I won't take out all my pain and anger and frustration on that person, but I was able to restrict myself to her attitude. Happily, she came around when she saw us cleaning Matt up after a BM. I guess she realized that we weren't just there to give her instructions... By the time we left everyone was very friendly, which is the best outcome.

I've also added yet another item to the "go list". The portable Hoyer will now remain in the van. we simply could not get them to bring in the Hoyer to lift Matt for a BM. They didn't think their slings would work and their lifts only work with their paper slings. ARGH. He wouldn't go home without a BM and he can't have one on his back. In desperation we finally rolled him on his side. It worked, but his O2 dropped to the 70s in just s few moments. We rolled him right over on his back and sat him up and told him that the rest, if there was more, would wait until we got home. I actually had visions fo him exploding all over the room as we picked him up to transfer to the chair (oh, yeah, my nurse pointed out to their nurse that his butt was showing through the sling and told her to never let anyone tell her again that it couldn't be done). Well, we got home with no incidents.

Sue, you were right. I now drive him by myself, vent and all. I no longer care--I'll stop anywhere that I have to if he needs something. I just keep an eye on him through the mirror. The ambulance ride was way too rough on him!!

Becky

I could easily imagine you running an airb'n'b, no competition, unique profile, yeah.

You go, girl! Juggling nurses and the poop parade, driving him on your own. Sounds like you took to the vented situation like a fish to, well, not to water, but something close. Coors light maybe. Dizziness could be considered a wanted effect. ;)

Thank you for checking in. I really enjoy reading about your resilient approach to deal with the beast.
Happy to hear that Matt is better and involved in your kids' lives.

Becky it seems you are coming along nicely in this trach/vent world. Driving alone is never the best situation, but definitely doable and done by me many time. Not now however. Things change, but use every single moment you can while you can.

Awesome that you even got help in the hospital. That is a blessing.

Hopefully now you’ll stay home and not revisit the hospital for a very long time.

Hugs,

Sue

I'm glad you checked in Becky; here's hoping no more trips to the hospital for awhile! Although my Dave is not on an invasive vent, I drive him everywhere alone. We just got back from a trip to MD. It was our 37th wedding anniversary, so we went to Baltimor Inner Harbor for 2 nights, then on to Ocean City, MD for 4 nights. It is a LOT of work .......... and involves many trips from the van to the hotel room (complete with stares while people watch me push the shower/toilet chair, portable Hoyer, etc. into the elevator. Pretty funny actually!). But we have always enjoyed traveling, and will continue to do so as long as it is still feasible. It was 6 days of no grocery shopping, no cooking, cleaning, etc. for me, so a bit of a respite for me as well.

I'm glad your nurse pointed out to the hospital nurse that YES, toileting can be done via transfer (or even hovering if need be) utilizing a "U" shaped swing! YEESH!! I'm sorry you had to deal with that lack of knowledge and now have to consider taking your own Hoyer due to ignorance!

I too can imagine you running an accessible Airbnb experience. You would be great at it! Maybe I will do the same someday, who knows!

Good to hear from you Becky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back