Woke Up - Air Hunger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete, I don’t know off hand what’s causing your pain or if it’s from Morphine. A couple ideas, however —. One is to add an anti inflammatory drug such as Naproxen to the pain-relief cocktail. Sometimes inflammation can cause pain that doesn’t respond well to Morphine, so it’s worth a try.

Another thought is whether or not you could have an infection somewhere. Prime targets would be lungs and urinary system, and also skin wounds. A systemic infection can cause horrendous pain and won’t necessarily respond to Morphine. Have the nurse check for fevers, listen to your lungs, and make sure you don’t have any open sores on your body.

Last edited:
they have switched me to hydromorphone (dilaudid). it is clear that when i took the morphine that within an hour my legs were in screaming pain. as the morphine wore off the pain would lessen. it took 3-4 days of taking the morphine before i started experiencing the pain. i will let you know how the hydromorphone pills do.

this is the first medication (other than tylenol or alka seltzer) that I have taken with this illness since 2014. i hate medications and always get the worst dide effects from them. everyone always said that 'its ok we can switch the meds if we need to' in the mean time i end up suffering and praying that God would take me. i get the feeling that no one in the medical industry really knows anything.

Bad situation for trial and error. Like when they tell you that you just have to find the right hormone pill. Yeah, just try this one next for three month and see if you get depression or any other number of fun side effects...
Better luck with the next drug!!!

Unfortunately medicine is not an exact science and drugs don’t always work as advertised. I hope you find comfort very soon, Pete.

Thinking of you, Pete. And hoping today is a better day. Hugs.

I so hope this new medication brings you relief without horrible side effects Pete. Human bodies are so complex that we can't know exactly how any medication will really react in each individual. Cold comfort I know xxxx

i took the new medicine this afternoon and it relevied the leg pain and helped with the air hunger. hopefully as it builds up in my system i do not get any side effects.

Good news so far Pete. You are in my prayers.

Hugs,

Sue

Pete,

God bless you and your wife. So sorry you are suffering. I will argue with any Dr. that says ALS doesn’t cause pain.

Bill

Sending hugs to you both Pete, thanks for sharing with us all, for us carers it will make it a little easier to cope if we understand what's happening and what to ask for to help our PAL. Xxxxxxx

Thinking of you Pete. I check here every day to see how your doing. You are in my prayers.

How is the new medication working for you Pete? xx

Pete- a good night's sleep is precious. I am so glad you were able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back