Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Good grief! yesterday afternoon when I got home from work I could hear it blowing full blast on my husband while he napped. I took it off him and it looked like the gasket had slipped out on the mask--so I thought that was all that was the problem.

Ha! went to bed last night late (watching a show) and put him to bed and slipped his mask on and the darn thing was blowing crazy! I called the RT and they tried to walk me thru fixing it(it was almost 2 am) but no luck. my husband felt like he could sleep without it so we went to bed. hmmm, won't be doing that again. poor guy didn't complain but he tossed and turned all night--actually I tossed him and turned him! we were up by 7 because he could not breathe and was so uncomfortable.

The RT came today and adjusted his settings. she thought that perhaps his needs had changed and that is what was happening. IDK, can that happen so fast?

It can but I have learned how to adjust for steve and laurie can help too adjusting the settings. steves mask has a silcone piece that goes against his face that snaps into the hard plastic part. Some masks have a gasket that fits into a groove on the edges of the mask. You just have to push the silicone into the groove. Of course I am assuming hubby has a full face mask.

Also, sometimes the tubing comes apart from the mask, filter etc. If that alarm is turned off, you won't know that is what it is.

How many tubes go from the unit to the tubing and mask? Does he have the humidifier? Sorry I forget.

So when she adjusted the settings, did the blowing stop immediately? Did it blast when she was there? Does he like the new settings? Are they higher, lower...?

It was blowing really loud but you couldn't feel any air except through the hose as usual? It is hard to swallow that his needs made it blast.

I wonder if when you replaced the gasket, something else had come loose...or the motor somehow had overheated/ otherwise gone beserk (though I have never had that happen) and maybe adjusting the settings toned it down somehow. So I would say, if it's OK now, roll with it, but you know what I'm going to say: you should know how to adjust the settings.

Speaking of which, is Steve doing better now, Steph?

Yes he is....thru many alarms in the last year Ihave figured out for him what I need to do with his trilogy. He is doing okay right now. Really excited he can take his trip so many other things are tolerated better.

I thought it was the machine itself but according to the RT there would be alarms. we don't have the alarms turned on for the patient--too annoying and if he has a problem I am usually right there. this was a weekend RT--my regular one doesnt' give me a lot of info on the machine and I admit I am too busy to learn it. usually she visits when I am at work. the machine was locked but the new RT unlocked it for me. she said she lower the high number from18 to 16 and the low number from 7 to 5 (or maybe raised it from 3 to 5?) I don't know, but the darn thing worked great and he put it on and slept like the dead for four hours! :)

Laurie, it was blowing with so much pressure that he could not deal with it so He couldnot use it.

Steph, he does have the humidifier--there is a tube from the machine to the humidifier and then from that to the mask. the mask is goes over the nose and mouth, and has a silicone gasket that fits into the groove on the mask.

I think something was disconnected then, if the machine is working now. Glad it's better. Sometimes it also sounds like a blast if the humidifier door is partially open.

Please be clear -- everyone can "unlock" the Trilogy or any other NIV. I have previously posted how to enter the clinical menus. It does not take an RT, nor should it. They are not with you 24/7.

I'm not picking on you, Barbie, but it drives me crazy when RTs pretend they are "unlocking" the machine and that you can't. That's a very dangerous pretense.

Laurie they all have "locked"them on me. I figure it out though. In a crisis lime Barbies I don't want to be stuck. It happened to us early on and there solution was to go to the ER. Since then, I have learned a lot and even taught a rt a thing or two:)

Barbie so glad you are on the right track. Sleep is major for you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back