Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
This all started at the beginning of the month and now is at the point I need to reach out to those who have a lot more experience with this. First, let me say I have a general fear of the doctor… like White Coat syndrome all the way. So I am someone who waits until it gets bad before I go. I am also in-between jobs right now, so it would be an expensive adventure… that’s why I want to run this by all of you first.
I am a very active person, I love to be outside running or walking. About 3 weeks I played tennis for the first time all year. I also spent the day with my girlfriend walking at parks around Columbus… enjoying the nice day. The next day after work I noticed my 4th and 5th toes on the left foot felt tight and were pulling in a bit. I also noticed that my left foot felt off when walking. I let it go at first, but a few days later I realized I was still being bothered by it. Like I noticed my foot felt weak and funny. The best way to describe it is when I am walking, it feels like I have little control over my left foot while stepping. Like it almost slaps down and then when I push off, it feels loose and over exaggerated. (I know that isn’t the best description, but it feels kind of weak more or less.) I am also finding that my toes are kind of catching the floor from time to time on that foot, but no falls/ bad trips. I can really see the awkwardness in my step when I wear dress shoes. I have even asked other watch me walk, but nobody has said they have seen anything noticeable yet. This problem has continued for the past two weeks now and I am getting concerned. I also have had a good amount of twitching as of late and tightness in that leg. It hasn’t cramped yet, but it feels like it could like at any moment. The tibialis anterior muscle (aka muscle next to shin) is very tight and sore when I rub. Does ALS stiffness happen in just one muscle or the whole leg? The biggest saving grace through all of this is that my leg and foot do feel weak, but I am able to walk and go up and down stairs mostly like normal… So no “clinical weakness” maybe?
Just worried I have caught on to the beginning stages of leg onset. I read the sticky and that helped a lot, but most sites just say, “Twitching, Weakness, Cramps, and stiffness”… So it has been stressing me out. I have all of those things to one degree or another, just don’t know what to think.
Does the stiffness sound like ALS stiffness?
Does the cramping feeling/ weak gait feeling sound familiar to ALS experience?
Does this sound like the start of foot drop?
Am I another crazy, over anxious ALS worrier?
Advice needed, thanks!

If you have foot drop, it is worth investigating. Go see your GP. If they feel it warrants further investigation you may see a neurologist. Keep in mind there are lots of conditions that cause foot drop, so foot drop does not automaticly mean ALS. It is way more likely to be something else. Good luck.
Vincent

Hey Vincent,

Thanks for relying so quickly. I don't know if it is foot drop... I am the only one who seems to notice a gait issue. Like I said, multiple people have said they see nothing wrong with it. They see a normal step. I am able to walk on heels and toes/ flex my foot every which way... forgot to mention that. Just scared of the doc as I said before. Just seeing if this sounded like foot drop or normal ALS Symptoms. But your advice is wise!

I don't think what you are experiencing is ALS. But, I'm not a expert at all on that. But, when I read you mentioning stuff on the left side. My mind went right to thinking of a stroke or heart related issues. Please don't use Dr. Google to find out what is going on with you. He gives out false information that scares the crap unnecessarily for people. I would go see your primary physician and tell him your concerns. They might have some type of financial assistant that would help you if you have to get any expensive tests. I know we have a good program at the hospital where I work that finances alot of people. Good luck to you. Kim

Try standing on your heels, and walking on them. If you can, then it's not foot drop. If you can't, then get it checked
Vincent

As Vincent said, it’s possible that this is foot drop – but foot drop does not mean ALS. I know of two people with foot drop, neither of whom has ALS.

> but foot drop does not mean ALS.

Correction: foot drop does not NECESSARILY mean ALS. Foot drop can be symptom of many issues, including a pinched spinal nerve.

Very true guys! I guess when I was researching my symptoms, ALS sites popped up. I have twitching, cramp like feeling, possible weakness, and stiffness... So it led me to here. The sticky really help clarify a few things, most ALS sites are kind vague. Also Vincent, just walked 25 yard with my heels up... it hurt, but they never fell down.

I just realized you both are diagnosed, my heart and support goes out to you guys. Thanks for helping, means alot!

If I may ask, what does AlS stiffness feel like. Based on your collective knowledge, is it just one muscle, the whole limb? Is there soreness involved?

Thanks to you as well Greg!

Stiffness and cramping happen as ALS progresses to more advanced stages, not during onset. Twitching seems to bring everyone to this forum through google, but in general is not an onset symptom either, but more prevalent as the disease progresses. Tightness and soreness are not symptoms of ALS. Have your foot checked out, it may be due to an injury. You did mention all this happened after getting back to tennis and walking a lot. Your age makes ALS extremely remote (based on the 1987 in your name). Good luck to you!

Thank you! I have read that under 40 is even more rare, but there seems to always be a story on the news about a 20-something getting this terrible thing. Just scared that somehow it would be me next. I also appreciate the insight about twitches... My feet and legs have gone crazy the past couple of days. I am having them in both, but mainly the left leg/foot. At times it feels like a normal twitch and then at time it is this weird "creepy crawly" feeling in the feet. Just has me a little bit on edge. I am sure I have had these feelings before, just never felt them so frequently.
So really twitches only present once there is weakness or atrophy? (I know that was broad statement)

I wouldn't worry about ALS if I were you. The totality of your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me. You're having a lot of "feelings," and ALS presents as a paralyzed muscle without any feelings associated with it.

Ignore Dr Google and the Internet. While we're not doctors and can't diagnose you, we know ALS pretty well and, while you should see a doctor about that possible foot drop, I really don't see ALS in your future.

Regarding twitches. Humans get them all the time, especially as we get older. They are so common as to be meaningless diagnostically.

Atrophy comes AFTER a muscle group has been limp and useless for awhile.

The real question is, are my muscles paralyzed, limp, useless, and not contracting on command? That's a possible concern that could lead to many conditions, one of which is ALS. If you don't have a paralyzed muscle, you shouldn't worry about ALS at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back