Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
What is the difference between the Trilogy and BiBPAP systems? Can you buy a Trilogy or do you have to rent one?

Thanks.

I have been learning more about the trilogy system, since i am getting one soon (with my tracheostomy ). It is portable &has both bipap and vent functions. You have to rent according to Medicare rules, but (and I'm sorry i don't remember who it was ) I agree with the person that said that all ALS patients should be given this bipap. Mine was really expensive and it's just a non portable one. I can't imagine the trilogy system would be that much more. I was not aware of the trilogy when i got mine. I'm a little p'd at my clinic for recommending the older one, truthfully.

A "regular" BiPAP is portable w/ a battery pack and DC cord. If you are not venting, a Trilogy is a large AVAPS (volume controlled) BiPAP equivalent.
Unlike the Trilogy, some BiPAP models can go in your lap for travel. Our Z1 CPAP goes over the wheelchair back/lift cradle via lanyard. A Trilogy must go on the back of the wheelchair in its bag when out, which can be a problem if you don't have the depth available in elevators, restaurants, venues, vehicles (in our small apt, even aggressive tilting creates space issues). The Trilogy is 12 lb so moving it w/o wheels is nontrivial. I don't think any one machine can be generalized as "the best" for all.

I believe some people here, like Paulette, also find a cheaper BiPAP more appropriate for shower use, transfers and the like. We have 3 PAPs in use (bedroom, living room, transfers). None is a Trilogy. My husband's FVC is 20-something, maybe less. As you say, if you plan to vent, it may be easier to get the Trilogy from the beginning, but no machine is perfect.

Trilogies are available for sale used but, depending on life expectancy, rental is likely cheaper. As for other BiPAPs, they are as well (available both new and used, depending on the model; I recommend SecondWind), and the insurance rental proposition is a total ripoff financially, as well as disincenting your own optimization of settings/masks, so I would buy unless the user's future is numbered in months. The same goes for a suction machine, even more so. For the CoughAssist, I'd check the numbers both ways.

My husband was prescribed the Trilogy from the Mayo clinic when it was determined he would benefit from a biPap machine. We were told that this is the only machine his doctor now prescribes, it is evidently much more efficient. It is very small and lightweight with a handle for easy travel, about the size of a small 8" screen TV. He wears a full face mask, the only problem is the dry mouth he experiences when sleeping. The respiratory technician is going to outfit it with a humidifier on his next visit. He doesn't intend to ever be vented, but I understand it can also be used for that. His Medicare and Blue Cross supplement, as well as a hardship break through the medical supply company make renting it affordable. On a side note, I was worried the noise would keep me awake since I'm sleeping next to him! It is super quiet, I hardly even hear it (unless he takes it off and breaks the seal).

According to my husband's pulmonary physician, she is at Duke and the Durham VA, a new machine was recently approved by the FDA called the Astral 150. It has been used successfully in Israel and Europe, I believe. She likes it because she feels the design of it makes it less likely to tip over, and it's fairly easy to carry if need be. She also believes it will fill his needs for a very long time to come. It is also less expensive than the Trilogy 100. He is getting his in August, in the meantime he will keep using the standard bi-pap. Here is the link for the Astral 150: ResMed - Astral? 150

Welp, I responded and it went to moderation, probably because I put a link in the post. My husband's pulmonary doc has ordered him an Astral 150. You can google it and the website will pop up. It's another choice that is less expensive but as useful if not more than the Trilogy 100.

Mary, thanks for pointing out the Astral launch. Buying used, we have had a variety of Respironics and Resmed machines and I always prefer Resmed, if only for data management/access. Data is power.
I will say that based on the descriptions so far even the Astral 100 would probably be fine in ALS.

Laurie, mine was a Philips model, with just a plug. It was really loud. It seems archaic to have one without batteries.

Mary, thanks, I didn't know about that. I sent it to my nurse. Hopefully, they haven't submitted the paperwork on the trilogy already!

I corresponded with Resmed, because we couldn't find anyone here who has it. They said the following:

Resmed
Thank you for contacting ResMed. The Astral ventilator is not currently for sale in the US. Please contact your doctor if you need further assistance with your therapy.

I asked if they have any idea when it will be available, or It was being held up by the FDA.

Resmed
No, we have no information on when or if this product will be available in the US.

So i guess i'll go with a trilogy.

I don't know whom you corresponded with, obviously someone clueless, because the FDA approved it on June 4. However, it may take weeks to months before it's available, depending on production, marketing, distribution, regulatory and how high a priority the launch is. The territory reps are usually pretty knowledgeable so I would ask your DME to ask their rep and re-ping HO if you have to as well.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf13/K133868.pdf
510(k) Premarket Notification

the FFDA! .....

Thanks, Laurie. I didn't even think to look there. It was just some customer service rep who answered my email. My mom has called the reps who were going to rent the trilogy from) and a company nearby that we have a relationship with, neither of whom carried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back