Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
Mom has been able to get her fluids by drinking through a straw. I know that is not idea for someone who has a little swallow difficulty but she does quite well with it. However today she is not able to do this very well. I don't know if it's just a weakness of those muscles that allow that action or if she just can't get her lips tight enough around the straw. She's quite advanced (total care, unable to do anything) and did not want a PEG. I don't know what to do. Would a thickening agent added to the fluids enable her to take the drink from a glass without getting choked on the liquid? We would have to hold the glass for her, she can't do anything.

When I couldn't do the straw anymore we started using an inverted ketchup squeeze bottle. They squirt a little bit at a time.

Good idea Brian.

Try a variety of straws, a smaller "juice box" straw or a "bendy" might get a better angle.
Good luck.
Casey

I'm just ordering today a Pat Saunders one way straw to try as my PALS just can't suck through a straw and can't get his hands to his mouth, and can't take me trying to give him a drink as he just chokes. Really he is only trying to enjoy some tea or coffee as he has a peg, and I'm trying to keep some kind of enjoyment in his life.

Lots of places sell the straws if you goo gle.

Once my PALs couldnt suck up liquid through a straw anymore, we have done a couple of different things: We use a 10cc syringe which allows for you to direct the squirting of the liquid to a place in the mouth better. ie/ the side of the mouth, not directly down the throat. We also use a straw, dip it in the drink, cover the end like you did as a child to keep the liquid in the straw, then feed it to your mother that way. You can release a very controlled amount this way. Good luck
Mary

Hi my mother had the same issue she would always drink ice tea or ensure with a straw but it got to a point where she could no longer do it. So I went out and got her sippy cups that children use. The tea came out of the cup good but i needed to make the holes in the cup bigger for her to be able to get the ensure out. This worked for us hope it helps you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back