Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
I read on this forum that a lot of pals prefer the trilogy machine. My mom's pulmonologist has recommended and AVAPs (?) machine. Does anyone have any information about this? Right now I am having an awful time getting her insurance to approve her for one. She had a daytime sleep study and a nocturnal pulse ox, but her oxygen level did not go down when she was sleeping so that didn't qualify her. And they are saying that the daytime sleep study was not enough to qualify her. When she had her FVC done she couldn't even get a proper seal so those numbers are essentially worthless. I cannot understand why it is so difficult to get an 86 year old woman with a diagnosis of als a proper breathing machine.

never heard of an avaps, I know my doc recommended a Vpap, and I had never of one of those either. maybe some other manufacturer?

maybe they are getting a kickback form the manufacturer--if your insurance wont approve it then get them to script a diff machine that the insurance will accept.

The Trilogy has an AVAPS (Average Volume Assured Pressure Support) feature/mode. It estimates the patient's tidal volume with each breath and compares it with the target tidal volume.
The AVAPS Rate setting allows you to adjust the maximum rate at which the pressure support automatically changes to achieve the target tidal volume.

Last edited:
The Trilogy is the best because as breathing gets worse and need it all of the time the Trilogy has a six hour battery in case you have power failure

Tim has a VPAP, and they can also have a battery that allows them to be about for 6-10 hours. We will also be getting the Trilogy, as he will use it for Sip & Puff, during the day. We met a gentleman yesterday who was a pulmonologist that was diagnosed with ALS 2008, and although he has a different machine than the Trilogy, says that it is an excellent machine and actually offers more than his, but when he got his 2-3 years ago it was the best.
So Tim will have a VPAP for the night, and the Sip& Puff for the day. The sip and puff does not work for those that don't have strong facial muscle to seal around the mouth piece.

What I should have said is the Trilogy has built in six hour battery if the power goes off you never miss a breath it's great

My doctor says Trilogy is the gold standard and I believe it. I didn't do a sleep study and qualified due to ALS and my breathing tests. I don't get a good seal either so they use a mask for my test and we get my bread wet too to help.:p

I have the Trilogy in AVAPS mode and it works great.

Unless you have told them otherwise already, you might say she is planning to trach and vent (not saying that it really has to be the case ). Since the Trilogy can be used as a vent down the road maybe that could help justify it.

She will qualify with ALS diagnosis but her fvc scores have to be low enough to qualify. That is usually near 50. The dr. ordered bipap st for me but as my breathing goes down he may switch me to Trilogy which is a more sophisticated machine or he may leave me on bipap (also known as vpap depending on the brand) Ask your dr. what her fvc score is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back