Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
vic
City
Melbourne
I am so scared, so any advice would be appreciated.

I am 26 and initially went to a Neuro due to finger tremors in one hand. He sent me for tests (Nerve Conduction, MRI and EMG). While in the process of waiting for these tests, I've developed more symptoms - mostly in my hand. They now include really sharp twitching in my thumb (not just the occasional twitch, but multiple twitches in a row, sometimes for hours), lessening manual dexterity and some weakness.*My nerve conduction showed nothing, as did my MRI.

But my EMG showed denervation, but only below the wrist. I've course, I was terrified about what this meant and if it could be MND/ALS. The doctor said he didn't think so as the denervation would just be in my hand. But from what I've read, for some people symptoms start exclusively in the hand. Can some please help?

I know I'm young, but there have been cases of young people developing MND/ALS and I just want to know what I'm dealing with.

I honestly do not like posting in this sub-forum (DIHALS) since I am not a Doctor, but I will make an exception just this time to try answer your question.

Have you checked with your Neuro just in case you have a trapped nerve such as Ulnar Nerve Entrapment, et al.?

I know trapped nerves like the one I mentioned in the above paragraph may cause fasciculations in the hand as well as finger tremors and denervation.

If left untreated (as it happened to me) a Ulnar Nerve entrapment could render your hand useless because you might end up developing hand atrophy which is not reversible.

If I were you, I would check with your Neuro ASAP, to determine wether you have a trapped nerve or not but, I honestly doubt you have ALS.

Thank you so much for your response Nighthawk.

The denervation is on both sides of my hand, so if its a trapped nerve condition, it must be both nerves.

Would a nerve conduction test pick up on a trapped nerve?

Yes, an EMG would detect whether you have a trapped nerve or not.

When I was diagnosed with A.L.S., the EMG they performed on me later that same day picked up a trapper nerve (left Ulnar Nerve, in my particular case).

I tried to get it fixed (the trapped nerve) whether by using elbow splints or by having a minor surgery at elbow level but, the neurosurgeon at JHU refused to treat me because he assumed (whether he assumed that correctly or incorrectly I don't know) that my trapped nerve was A.L.S. related, so I ended up with left hand atrophy caused by a trapped nerve.
I'm now feeling the same pain but in my right elbow and I'm seeing fasciculations on my right hand as well as finger tremors.

HTH

Hi, I think that the possibility you have something like als or mnd is very low, anyway it's not normal having denervation in hands. Try not to worry too much becouse these problems often require a lot of time and many follow up to have a diagnosis. You said your neuro doesn't think it's als so trust him and see how things will progress. We are a lot here having symptoms from months but still undiagnosed so if you want to talk you are in the right place. Greetings from Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back