06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
Hi Friends,
I've had my bike for about 3 weeks now and am able to do 5 miles in 30 minutes. Feeling really good about it! I do not increase the tension but just go at a steady pace. My PT strongly encouraged this. I feel fortunate to be able to do this now.

We had family visiting us from Minnesota last week and spent a day along the beaches of Puget Sound. It was somewhat difficult to walk on the beach rocks now that I have this disease. My ankles were getting quite sore so found a nice beach log to take a break and also found a walking stick. It's frustrating when you come upon things that used to be so easy and now you have to think about things before you do them.

I went off the Baclofen and feel so much better. That stuff was tiring me out. There may be a time in the future when I'll need it again, but if I can stay off meds I'll be so happy!

Do any of you feel like your balance is more off some days than others? This morning I felt like a pinball in my kitchen bumping into the counters, the chairs, etc. This happens in stores sometimes too and I think people are thinking I'm intoxicated!

Blessings to all of you.. Lou Lou

Hi LouLou,

I have ALS. Onset in my right leg Feb 2010. I'm using a walker for the most part right now and know exactly what you mean about feeling like a pinball bouncing back and forth off the walls, counters etc. when I don't.

I stopped the Baclofen early on. Just didn't feel like it was doing much. I've since started Gabapentin because I have muscle spasms that limit certain movements and are very uncomfortable. I think it does make me a bit more wobbly.

My Neuro is really against any exercise that fatigues the muscles, says to limit it to ROM and stretching.

Glad you're able to enjoy your bike!

Deb

Definitely have good days and bad. When I have bad days it is usually because I have overdone things the day before.
It takes a couple of days to recover from a long day out. It's also worse at the end of a day.

Congratulations on the bike. I want to see if I can bike on the flat. I do use my treadmill and cross trainer frequently, but the cross trainer, even with no tension at all is difficult. But even 5 minutes slowly is better than none at all.
The day at the beach sounded lovely
I ditched my baclofen a year ago now, and like you. It's there if I feel the need.

Nice hearing from you
Aly

I find it interesting to read what other doctors suggest to patients. It seems exercise can work for some and others cannot do it. I was doing the treadmill for awhile, but my PT was afraid I might fall, so then recommended the bike. We all know what our bodies can do and cannot do, so like I said I am feeling very pleased with the bike and not feeling sore or easily fatigued from it. I do need to get back on my stretching routine as that really makes a difference. I get the morning lower back pain after getting up so should do my back stretches first thing in the a.m.

There is a huge difference between what someone with pls should attempt( depending on their stage of progression) and ALS. I think that's when you find there is a huge difference, but like absolutely everything with MND's , it all depends on the individual. :)

My husband used the recumbent bike until December 2010 (I could no longer get him on and off). A few weeks later, he took his last steps. I really think the bike worked like ROM exercises.

hey good for you loulou,just take it steady.
i spend my time battling to do daily things that need to be done and not antagonizing the spasms ..........to do this bike exercise for 10mins would cripple me.
i am at the stage now were i need home help,my muscles get enough exercise just moving them.
ofton bump into things and people when i go out who ofton give you mucky looks ...........can't be bothered explaining myself.
and to my horror a few weeks back i noticed that in my left clinically weak leg i have a scooped out atrophied area on my outer thigh.
never noticed it before but i am not one to go scrutinizing for it...........bummer!

Missy,

My heart go out to you! Sincerely.

Charlie

Hi LouLou,

I have a recumbent bike and used it a lot before I was diagnosed with PLS just thinking my weakness in my legs were due to my age. Had a younger wife and was trying to keep up my health. I kept trying the bike after my diagnosis of PLS and my doctor told me to stay off of it as it weakens my already severely weak legs. I am a wall walker at home. In public I strain ti hide it but know I get looks. I can't go to places that require me to walk long distances. I understand each of us can be very different form each other in our progression, stage and type of symptoms. Baclofen was out for me....too strong.....working with Skelaxin during the day and Valium at nigh to sleep.

Don't try and do too much outside your capabilities but don't give up....I'm not! Gonna try and get to Hawaii yet this year if I can find a companion to get me thru the airports in wheel chair as I can't walk it.

Keep trying everything, wish I could walk on the beach, stay positive you sound like your doing OK!

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back