Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Hawaii
City
Honolulu
I apologize if something similar has already been addressed. I have read through a number of posts...but not all of them. And I haven't seen anything in regards to numbness...so I just thought I'd put this out there.

I'm a female, 31 yrs old. About 6 weeks ago, after work I noticed my right thigh was numb. I thought I injured it while exercising the day before. After 3 days, it didn't go away.

I thought maybe diabetes. Dr. said it could be a pinched nerve and with rest it should go away in 3 weeks or so. Blood work and x-rays were ok. After 3 weeks it got better, numbness area got smaller and it was not as strong, but it was still there.

I was referred to a neurologist. He sent me to do an MRI last week. Now he wants to do an EMG next week. Serious stuff and I'm nervous.

I have no pain, no twitching. Only numbness. I used to run at least 3 miles 5 days a week. Since my numbness I stopped running. Walking only, per Dr.'s orders. I feel my leg strength is maybe at 80%. The rest of my body feels normal.

I know my numbness/weakness is only in one area now. But does ALS affect body parts one-at-a-time. Or is it more common for numbness/weakness to appear throughout the entire body at once.

Any help is appreciated. And again, sorry if this subject has already been done.

Thank you,
Shar

Loss of sensation is not an ALS symptom.

There are so many posts on this site. I recommend reading the sticky threads first.

Also, G o o g l e the term: emg test

The sixth entry down is Electromyography: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia; If you read that site you will notice that there are many different treatable conditions for which an EMG is indicated as a tool for diagnosis.

An MRI and an EMG will help point toward what ever it is... or isn't.

Good luck.

Last edited:
ALS and the other MNDs are diseases of the motor (movement) nerves and not the sensory (feeling) nerves. ALS/MND affects how muscles move, not how they feel. If you aren't having any movement problems, then you really don't need to worry about ALS.

Hope this helps.

meralgia paresthetica is one of the most likely causes of a numb outer thigh, for instance. LOTS of reasons for EMG--don't worry. Numb isn't ALS or any other MND. Good luck.

To answer your question, usually ALS starts affecting one body part and then moves on to other. But no need to worry, as numbness is not related to ALS. At your age I would look into Multiple Sclerosis as it is more of a possiblility. As others said as well, EMG is not just for diagnosing ALS, there are many others that are ruled out or in because of results. Good luck to you.

In MS, it is very unlikely that the first presenting symptom would be a numb spot on the thigh, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, either.

Ask your dr to check your vit b12 levels if it has not been already done. A vit b12 deficiency can cause numbness.

Thanks to all for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back