Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Clermont
I was seen by the Neuropsychologist yesterday in which we discussed the psuedo bulbar affect. Interesting fact that I learned in regards to a quick fix for this without medicine. I have never tried this, but he was very certain that it would work. If ever having an innapropriate episode of crying or laughing, let your friend or family member know that they should distract you by asking you a question that you could easily answer. For example, What color are your shoes or socks? Let me know if anyone else has heard of this or tried this. :)

After reading your post, I waited for the inappropriate episode of laughter (that's what he has the most and at very unacceptable times) from my husband. Asking him what color his shorts are had just the opposite effect - he laughed even harder.

Nah, don't think that will work. That sounds like the method most mothers use to distract their children when having a tantrum.

I wish the distraction method would have worked for you. Just like medications, some meds work some individuals while it does not for others.

The only thing we have found that helps is Lexapro.

I know that I am late in answering this. The doctor prescriped zoloft and it has helped with the laughing, crying and anger. It has also helped with his speech. The choking still continues but I am thankful for little bit of time that adds on to where we could be at this point.

i tried lots of meds and found lamactil to be the only one that helps, usually it is used for people with bi polar disorder or people who have seizures. it worked wonders on my anger, when i have a crying outburst i can get it under control within a half hour instead of it lasting hours..the laughing part is still as strong! It really doesn't bother me personally until people look at me weird or it causes my face to start twitching a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back