Diagnosis
11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
I didn't mean to be a killjoy about the drunk driving joke on the the jokes thread.

A couple of years ago, right near my house, a mother and her 5 year daughter were walking to our park to fly a kite - when "SPLAT!" - a drunk drove up onto the sidewalk, ran over the mom and killed her right in front of her daughter. That is all I could think of when I read the joke about a guy acting as a decoy so that his drunk friends could drive away without getting caught..

If the joke had been about a terrorist decoy or a serial killer decoy I doubt anyone would have found it funny.

Every year drunk drivers kill about 15,000 people in the US alone - which is about triple the annual death rate from ALS.

Life has become so precious to me - every life. My own death seems imminent and unavoidable - I would do anything to avoid this fate - but I can't. So I become outraged by anything that is responsible for so many deaths that could be easily avoided - or anything that makes light of it.

Hi all.
Apologies to those who thought it was true, it isn’t as far as i can find out, just Aussie humour.

Another apology for the rest of the post but i just have to get it clear to all.

Richard,
Just a bit of background on me to enforce that i do not condone drink driving.

For the past 25 years i have been in the local fire and rescue units, the last 15 as an Incident Controller.

Being a small community and everyone knows every one, i have seen first hand what drink driving does like

Spending all night on the side of the road with 2 people that i knew, deceased in a car waiting for police to arrive or
Setting up a line search for a person from a mini bus that hit a truck, then helping to remove the other seven

I could go on but i am sure you get the picture.

As you can see Drink Driving is an issue everywhere, i just might be a little desensitised to the outcomes of it due to my frequent exposure to it.

I hope that this is the end of this.

Again apologies to those i offended with the post.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I know you did not intend to offend.

I wasn't really offended - more troubled. On the surface it is a funny joke. And probably in your neck of the woods, the only thing a drunk driver is likely to hit is a possum, wallaby or maybe the second coming of the Tantanoola Tiger. ;)

Plus in Australia, aren't all cars drawn by kangaroos (just like in Canada we get around by dog sleds)?

I am the king of unintended offence as you can tell (bit of advice, never say to a woman "I like that outfit you're wearing. Did they have your size?")

Anyway - that is what this forum is all about - sharing perspectives

I'm sure you've heard this one before:

After their boat sinks, two aussies are left floating around in their lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. All of a sudden one of them spots a funny looking bottle bobbing in the water and pulls it out. He sees something written on the bottle but can't quite read it so he gives it a bit of a rub.
SHAZAM.....out pops a genie!
"For releasing me from the bottle I will grant you one wish."
The guy glances at his mate, smiles and without further hesitation says, "I wish the whole ocean was beer!"
The genie claps his hands together and BOOM, there's a blinding light and the genie is gone. The guy quickly leans over the side of the boat and takes a big swig of "water".
"You're not gonna believe this mate, but it's really beer!"
His mate screws up his face and says "That's just bloody brilliant mate! Now we're going to have to pee in the boat!”

Hey Peters an Aussie. He won't understand that as a joke! He's going to be mortified:( he probably adds the occasional beer into his baclofen pump!

Just kidding the Aussie NZ rivalry, never let's up, hey Peter ?

Aly, your poor NZ neighbor

Thanks Richard.

Omg
The Tantanoola tiger, you must have done some research to find that animal. :)
I have seen him many times, well the stuffed one in the pub that is. :lol:

The Tiger hotel was my old watering hole as I lived in Tant for about 30 years before moving to Millicent.

I hope that the sea ended up being Coopers and not VB :lol:

Aly
Tried the pump thing found that it wasn't any good for 2 reasons
It couldn't deliver it fast enough and
It didn't hold nearly enough :lol::lol:

Cheers
Peter

It's sometimes a little scary what things are found to be 'funny'. I've listened to a few of the late night hosts opening 'funny' stuff and just thought it was bad so many would laugh at things that just aren't funny.

I lost my mom to a drunk -- so not my favorite topic of humor -- there are just so many things that are always going to hit someone wrong. My dad used to call me with the most off-color jokes--one of his favorites was "I have good news and bad news--Rock Hudson died--but bad news is your husband's picture was in his wallet." He thought it was hilarious--I'd lost two brothers to AIDS--I didn't see the humor at al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back