Loved one DX
Country
IND
State
AndhraPradesh
City
Hyderabad
Hi,

My mother was diagnosed with ALS in the month of April, 2009.
However she had symptoms of ALS six months befor the diagnosis.

Currently, she has lost mobility in legs and hands.
Her swallowing and speaking has got affected a lot.

Recently, she has started getting pain in left side of diaphragm.

Is it an indication that ALS has impacted the diaphragm too ?

What are the symptoms of onset of ALS impact on diaphragm?

Thanks
Raj

hi raj . . Firstly sorry that your mum has this awful disease . . I am no expert but maybe i can be of some help . . Usually when the respiratory muscles are affected the first symptom tend be noticed when lying flat. . Because the diaphragm is weakened it is battling gravity to work as normal . . This results in laboured and uncomfortable breathing. . I believe the experts call this sensation orthopnea. . I have not heard of the diaphragm becoming painful as such but have heard that when other breathin muscles such as the intercostal become weak they can feel strained. . Your best bet is to get a pulmonary or respirator doc. They will most likely give your mother a respiratory and lung function test . . There are plenty of devices to assist with breathin. Such as bi pap. . I hope that helps . . I wish you all the best . . God bless . . Alex

Raj, it's really important your mother see's a pulmonoligist and have herself checked, then they can set up ways to help her like Alex said so they can make her a bit more comfortable, the pain she is feeling might be caused by strain,but I'm no doctor but they should be able to figure that out.Peace to you and your mother.

Glen would get what felt like abdominal cramps as his diaphragm became more involved. Unfortunately because of other issues, he wouldn't use his BiPap. I agree with everyone who is saying get her checked by a pulmonologist... one with ALS experience if you can find one. Getting her some breathing assistance could result in her feeling better overall.

Ditto all of the above.

My husband has pain in his diaphragm whenever he talks too much. The effort seems to strain his muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back