Device for Communication anyone using one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkshumate

Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
Flemington
Hi , My question is anyone using a device for communication? My very best friend Dave can not communicate any more. The are looking into a device that help him speak with eye contact. Anyone know of this or using one? If so..Does it work well?

Thanks!
hkshumate[email protected]

Hello hkshumate, welcome to the forum. There are lots of us on here who use communication (speaking) devices. I have two not including the speaking software that I have installed onto all of the computers in our office. I am now using a netbook computer with the NextUp speaking software as my main speaking device and a DynaVox Palmtop3. Neither is equipped for eyegaze but other forum members use devices that are so I will let them comment on that. If you look at the bottom of this page you will see links to other threads related to communication devices.

Barry

Hi Barry, Thanks for your reply. Any and all info would be great.
Dave is not doing well at all. His mind is very sharp. His communication skills,.. well not good at all. From the neck down, not good at all. Eye communication is our only hope. Dave's voice. I'd love to hear from someone that has used this or is using this.

Hope your doing ok. Thanks for your Help and info.
from hkshumate
[email protected]

My husband just got the Dynovox V-Max and eye gaze. He can use his eyes to look around the screen and direct the cursor. When he wants to select a letter for example, he blinks. You can do emails make phone calls, use the tv remote, search the Internet.
It speaks your words. Also has key phrases that you can set up.
I think this system is the best. I've researched for almost a year. This system is by far the one that seems to be able to do everything you need. It Also has a panic button. Sets off an alarm so anyone in the home can hear it.
The system also is touch screen for caregivers to be able to 'help' out.
My husband just got his last week and has only played around with it for a few hours. He is still able to speak, but no use of arms or hands.
I'll keep you updated on his progress. Learning to use the eyes as a mouse is not and overnight thing....,

Thank you, K-Town
This information is very helpful. I am going to pass the information on to Dave and his parents.
If anyone else would like to comment and leave any information, please do.
Best wishes to all! K-Town... thanks again!
~~ hkshumate ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back