Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
or
City
Beaverton
I don't know what the proper name for them is but I've seen some mention of leg straps you can wear to help with walking ?
Has anyone used them ? Do they help ?
My husband is still able to walk around but has started falling/tripping fairly frequently so I'm hoping the leg straps might help him.
Also where can you purchase them , do you have to ask the doctor for them or can you buy them online somewhere ?

Thank you!

AFO (ankle-foot orthosis)

I had afo's - they worked great, then I got my wheelchair and stopped wearing them. You need to see a physical therapist or a occupational therapist and get an evaluation and they have afo's or would send you to have them made to your leg. Are you going to an als clinic?

Well, my husband has pretty much not gone to the Doc since his tests. I've been asking him for the longest time to make an appt and see what they can do to help but he doens't want to. He says he's tired of going to the doctor after all those tests.
But I'm about ready to pick up the phone myself and make the appt for him. He just seems to kinda get upset when we start talking about it and changes the subject.

I got everything like this from the ALS Association and did not see a doctor after my initial diagnosis. The ALS Clinic has all types of people there, like OT, PT, Speech Technicians, Dietitians, Nutritionists, Social Workers, etc. He might not have to see a doctor at all but will not be provided with this equipment without going there. It is really beneficial to develop a relationship with these people because eventually you will need their help.

I second Joel's recommendation. When it comes time to need their help , you will already have gone through the preliminaries. I see the people at the ALS clinic every three months , and in-between when it is needed.

You know how much of a biatch it is to wait for those first appointments. Get them done now , and its a lot easier when you must go.

Tell him to keep fighting. Keep smiling.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back