Not open for further replies.

Boo Boo 621

Country
US
State
VA
City
Manassas
Ok, so I took over 24 hours off from viewing and posting anything on here - all thanks to AL. Kidding.

I went to my neuro appt and yes, you (many of you) were right in that no, she does not suspect ALS at all. I explained my findings - twitchings seen, felt, unseen, deep in my right calf, not felt; and that same calf has less muscle tone to it. She did the standard strength tests..lots of tapping, me pushing against her, finger to nose, etc. I am about 118, 5'2" and she was about 5'6 maybe 135-140..?

I have normal reflexes. She measured my relaxed calves to which she said they were the same size. She measured in a couple areas, using a pen to mark each point the same on both legs. I showed her how the flexed muscles were different and she said yes, you are a bit assymetrical. She also pointed out my smile is assymetrical - then told me not to study it! - to which I told her it was ok, I already know. My mom's smile is also crooked the same exact way.

She typed this info up and coded it as "Involuntary muscle something or other.." since she didn't actually have a code for BFS. She did not try and see or feel my twitches and said that yes, they can be very normal and can last for how ever long. I asked if she felt I should have an EMG and she gave me a whole-hearted "Noooo..you don't need to be stuck with needles, besides, we don't feel a real need for that unless maybe it's been maybe 6wks so if you are interested in coming back if this does not resolve itself, we'll go ahead and poke you." Or something along those lines. She was very nice and sat and talked to me as she could tell I was anxious so I don't feel she was blowing me off, I just thought maybe she'd have me do an EMG anyway. She told me I was strong, etc. We talked about my pregnancy and that I had vbad aricose veins on the right leg only during that time and the fact that I don't show weakness. She also talked to me about the tongue being our greatest muscle and that signs tend to show up there or that ALS may affect those greater muscles moreso first. Again, SOMETHING along those lines.

Her last words to me were "I wish I could tell you not to worry about this.."

SO. I left there thrilled and had a much better day, but since this isn't the first time I have scared myself with thoughts of disease, (shocker, right?) it takes me a little while to break the habit of the thinking I have had the past week. I'm treading water and keeping my head up, but sometimes I get tired and sink into quick passing thoughts of "Am I supposed to continue to measure my calves on and off? Am I supposed to keep checking out the fasics and make another appt in 5 wks? OR should I do the ultimate and just trust my neuro, go on with my life not waiting for anything more to happen and get back to enjoying motherhood and my baby's first Xmas, the arrival of my family Friday and a wonderful 2009?"

I'm sure I know the answer.

told you so. I love when I get to say that. Stay off the computer until after New Years. Enjoy the baby, Xmas and your family. Relax. I bet your twitches or whatever will go away.

AL.

and I second that motion,
Congrats boo,
have a great holiday!
brenda

I can't believe you were successful staying off the forum for 24 hours :grin:, but am happy to hear how your visit turned out. And yes....you DO the answer to your own question. Happy Holidays!

Lydia

It made me happy to read all of what you wrote! I hope you're successful in putting this out of your mind. These are the best times of your life, to have your little one with your for her first Christmas :) I wish you and your family the absolute very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back