Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NE
City
Omaha
Hi,

I just turned 27 and have been experiencing some health issues that have me concerned. I do not know much about ALS but the symptoms are starting to scare me. Please help!

Here is my story:

A year ago, I went to the doctor complaining of fatigue and tingling in my neck and head. I also had chest pains. He did an EKG and everything turned out fine. He thought that I had a virus and sent me home with a clean bill of health otherwise. A week ago, I was having some neck pain and troubles turning my head to the left. I also have chronic upper back, shoulder, and neck burning/pain. I do have a desk job and notice is more so after sitting for a couple of hours. I then felt like I had some right side weakness and joint stiffness in my right hand. I can write but when I hold a pen or anything it hurts and sends a pain up my wrist. I have not noticed any atrophy but I have been continously flexing my muscles in my arms and legs to make sure. I am not sure if this has caused the pain in my hand from squeezing or not. Finally, I noticed some mild coughing but no troubles chewing or fasculations (sp?).

Any thoughts?! I am scared to death and it seems the stress of it makes the symptoms even worse. I have an MRI scheduled for Thurs. but the waiting is killing me. My doctor does not seem concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help!

That sure doesn't sound like ALS to me (not even close). What made you think it is ALS? You have an appointment soon, so hang tight until then. In the meantime, relax.

I think it's because I have major anxiety after looking on different websites and because some of the symptoms seemed relatable to ALS.

Having "some symptoms" related to ALS means nothing. You must have all symptoms that point directly to ALS. You can't take a symptom here and a symptom there and try to piece it together and get a diagnosis. As I said, it doesn't sound like ALS to me.

Go relax and let your doc do his/her job.

I understand what you're saying. It's just hard trying to relax when I don't know what's wrong, if anything. Everyone keeps telling me I am just being over-anxious and panicky and that, that is making things worse i.e. the chest tightness, trouble swallowing, etc.

What you described in the way of symptoms doesn't seem anything like ALS to me either. I would relax. Odds are greatly in your favor that you do not have ALS, especially given your age.

But, hey, I'm no medical guy.

Zaphoon

Thanks Zaphoon and Wright! I really appreciate your confidence. At least it will help me get through these next few days before my MRI. If everything comes back clear from there, I guess I don't know what way to turn...

Your doctor will know what to do next regardless of the outcome of the MRI. Just trust the gentlemen and ladies that went through years and years of med school, residency and practice to do their thing.

You will find that if you leave the diagnosis in their capable hands, rest comes a lot more easily.

Zaphoon

I'd wish you luck with the MRI but you shouldn't need it. My guess is no ALS but maybe pinched or compressed nerve. We're not docs but have a pretty good idea what sounds like ALS and what doesn't. Yours doesn't.

AL.

Everyone keeps telling me I am just being over-anxious and panicky and that, that is making things worse.
Guess what, it sounds like "EVERYONE" is right. Take a chill pill and wait for the Doctor to give you more advice. Probably a pinched nerve in the neck. I've had many of them. Nothing to worry about. Good Luck.

Thank you. I was hoping that was it. I now have numbness and jaw pain in my mouth (have troubles opening and closing), am having troubles breathing, and cannot eat. Nothing sounds good! It's been almost a week since a "normal" meal for me. I have noticed weakness in my right leg, arm, and hand with burning along my upper back and neck that sometimes radiates to my arm and hand. My neck feels like it weighs 100 lbs!

Oh yeah and I have noticed some fasculations in my right leg, arm, and torso. Not sure whether this means anything or not?

Yes it means that you are looking at every neuro symptom ever written down and now imagine you have them all. Your mind is playing tricks on your body. Get some anxiety meds before you convince yourself you have throat cancer too. No one gets this stuff all at once.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back