PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Arrived in Illinois. Indiana house is up for sale. Still progressing. Wish this was over.

I am sorry things are tough D. Hope your new home makes life easier. Good luck with the house sale.

Kim I hope things go how you want.

Things are ok here. Some snow this week but not a lot

Hi folks, just sitting playing online poker and watching the snow fall. We have 3 feet already and it falling again, in Halliburton Ontario it snows every day.
Al

Sorry you’re going through this rough patch dldugan. Moving and house selling are terribly stressful. I hope you soon get to a point where everything is settled and you don’t have to worry about it.

Regards,
Bill

Winter still has Iowa in its grip. At least no significant snow or ice, but over the next week we'll have lows below zero and highs in single digits. Made it to the dentist to deal with a bothersome but not painful chipped tooth--the weather had kept me in or I would have dealt with it sooner. The cold and associated need to dress for it I find tiring. We've lost our reliable pet/housesitter to a girlfriend, so need to cast around for a new one--not easy to find in our rural location. Hoping for signs of spring--or at least highs in the 30s.

Ed

Out here in the west, we’ve experienced one of the wettest and coldest Februarys in years. I’m not entirely complaining because it replenished our mountain snowpack and is definitely better than drought. However, I am looking forward to warmer drier days where it will be easier to get out.

One of the excitements of my week was driving my pwc through the aisles of Costco. When we got out, we were greeted by a snowstorm which was not predicted by any of the weather forecasts. Fortunately, the van handled very nicely in the snow.

We're having a lot of sunshine with varying degrees of temperature.

I attended my first Daytona Beach Shores City meeting because I had written a letter in favor of the proposed dog park and they called me and asked me to deliver a "passionate speech" citing all the reasons I outlined in my letter. I was only given three minutes and was thinking it would probably take me half that time to walk up to the podium. I rested up so I had a clear head and could walk better (conserving energy really does work.) The vote for the dog park passed unanimously! People stood and applauded. I hope I'm around to see and enjoy the finished product. The good thing is that the site has been chosen, it's only 1/4 mile from my condo, it already has lights, water and a public restroom, and the Commission said they could move on it quickly.

The Lithium Iron Phosphate (LeFePO4) battery cells arrived for the lithium battery pack we are trying to build for my Magic Mobility X4 wheelchair. It is an exciting project and keeps my mind occupied. I have started testing the first of the 8 cells by charging it. After it is fully charged I will discharge it to a certain point and then recharge it again. That should give me an idea about the quality of the cells. Hopefully the new battery pack will increase the range from 4 miles to 12 or even 15 miles.

I also learned that insurance has approved a new Permobil F5 wheelchair for me, though not the with the standing feature, seat elevate, lights, arm supports, etc. We are in the process of going the next round with insurance to see if they will approve some of those items. As it stands now, my out of pocket expenses would be over $20,000. I can buy a lightly used wheelchair for far less than that!

It is amazing how long it takes to get a wheelchair. We started the process for getting the F5 on October 22, 2018. I suspect we are still quite a few months away from getting it delivered to me.

In the meantime, we took my Permobil C500s VS down to NuMotion to have the motors, gearboxes, and brakes replaced on both sides (under warranty). The previous set had started showing signs of failure within the warranty period. Unfortunately, the new motors seem to somehow be incompatible with the chair's electronics. It surges and shudders when starting and stopping. More alarmingly, if I briefly nudge the joystick in one direction, the wheelchair will go in a random direction, often continuing to accelerate for a second or two after the joystick is released. NuMotion and Permobil will replace those new motors under warranty, but it may take several weeks for the parts to arrive.

Steve

A tropical heat wave moved through Kansas City today where the temperature climbed to a balmy 32 for about an hour. Breaking out the shorts for tomorrow as we are headed toward 40. This is not a sign of spring, however, as we are headed to -5 over the weekend. I thought that #$%@^ groundhog didn't see his shadow!!

Otherwise, we are ops normal in the Heartland.

We seem to be on track for an early Spring - the maple trees have buds and I saw a redwing blackbird this week. (We take those as a sign of Spring, as they are usually smart enough - unlike Robins and Grackles - to not return too early.) We got a dusting of snow last night, but snow into April is not uncommon here.

Steve, I'm sorry to hear about your pwc problems, both for your sake and because I still have to look forward to those challenges. My wife/CALS is not mechanically inclined so it will be fun times! :-D

Best to all,
Bill

It's so great to read all the updates! Thanks everyone for taking the time to write.

We received record setting amounts of snow last month. It's been nice looking at it from inside the house and watching our new snow removal service. My biggest news is a new loaner hospital bed. It is great to be able to adjust it electronically and do find I am sleeping lots better. Our renovations will begin soon. The one I'm most looking forward to is the zero entry shower. Can't wait for that!

Take care all-
Mary

Spring is on it's way- I saw our first red-winged blackbird today! And the heavy winter coats are hanging up with lighter weight ones are being used. Snow coming tomorrow and low temps, but warmer days pop in and out.

Our house is now on the market as of yesterday. So now we start seriously looking for a one story condo. This is not going to be easy saying good-bye to our breathtaking views and home to our children for 18 years. So many changes but so much to also look forward to.

Way to go Kim! I hope the new park is everything the community and you deserve.

Good luck on the renovations, Mary!
Have a great week everyone,
Cathy

Good luck in the condo hunt Cathy. I am, as I said before,so happy with my move to smaller and one level living. I hope you find the perfect place.

Snowing here. March is definitely going to be snowier than February even though it has just started!

hello, everyone. All kinds of spring going on around here. We are finishing a ramp to our deck, so I will be able to get out with less assistance. I had been using platform lift, and making two trips, first me, then my pwc and transferring in the driveway. My transfers are slowly worsening, so I am glad it won't be as cumbersome now.

Ramp will be ready in time to go out and see the redbuds, and hear some spring peepers!

Hi DrDark. Welcome to this forum.

Back