Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
This may have nothing to do with ALS, but I've never had such a recurrent problem with it pre-ALS which has me wondering if it's somehow related..

I'm have constant ear wax blockage where my hearing gets muffled until we do one of those ear wax removal things with the drops and the bulb rinse. Then a day or two later it's back. It's been going on for a few months. No infection or anything, just plain old wax building up.

Does anyone else have this? Is there something I can do to reduce the re-occurrences?

I don’t see how ALS per se would increase wax buildup, but I do have some thoughts.

One is that you might have been periodically cleaning out your ears before and now no longer have the dexterity to do this. Another thought is that you may be sleeping in different positions for longer lengths of time, in ways that somehow promote wax buildup.

I don’t know. Those are just guesses. I have not yet noticed the problem myself. Others may chime in with their experiences.

Karen, that's what I was thinking- that it might be peripherally related. I too had thought that because I am reclined a heck of a lot more now that that might affect it. Or that because I have swallowing issues, maybe im not clearing my ears as effectively and that pressurization might be part of it. Im not sure.

Hi Kristina,

My husband has the same issues and we know another PALS who has the same issue. My husband's hearing is so bad in the last year because of this ear thing, whatever it is.

Well ear wax naturally leaves the ear with jaw movement so if you are speaking less and chewing less that will be a contributing factor

Nikki, that definitely sounds like it could be that then, since I am yes to both of those! If anyone knows any brilliant solutions I'm all ears (pun intended :)).

Can you get to an ENT and have the wax removed? If not there are ear wax kit removals that are pretty harmless.

I've had to take my brother in twice because he had ear infections with wax sealing the infections in and it was very painful.

Kristina, my husband also has this (which he did not have before ALS). Nikki's thoughts for a possible cause make a lot of sense.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back