Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
Our clinic doctor prescribed Curcumin (we use Theracurmin) several weeks ago.

90 mg twice per day.

He increased the doses to three times a day on our last clinic visit and indicated that my wife could take 180 mg twice per day instead of 90 mg three times a day.

I noticed that my wife started burping more frequently lately and not until last night did I link it to the Curcumin.

We had a rough night with her vomiting and what we use to call the "dry heaves".

She is resting peacefully now but I thought I would open this thread to get feedback from anyone with knowledge about Curcumin.

The upcoming Duke trial will use that specific product with the initial dose you were given.
It's also the product and dosages in the ALS Untangled article: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21678421.2018.1440738

And yes, gastric issues are associated with curcumin.

Personally, I'd ask why the doctor is treating her like a guinea pig and jacking up the dose.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg;

My wife actually ask the doctor if he could increase the dosages.

She has not taken any since dinner yesterday and her stomach has been calmed but she is weak and cannot stand.

Chicken noodle soup, boost, and some ice cream and coke all stayed down.

I find that I can only tolerate it with meals. I tried making a potion of curcumin, tart cherry juice, and celery seed extract. I drank it for about two weeks until the acid reflux was so bad I had to go off everything for two weeks.

Now I'm back on the curcumin.

Depending on what she still eats/her tastes, I'd consider opening the capsule and using it in something compatible like pumpkin soup or pie, rice, eggs, veggies, tea, another soup, etc. Also, be cautious with interactions, which include the possibility of reduced iron stores.

That dose is much lower than what has been used with non-ALS trials, but of course, everyone is different and many PALS are not eating "normal diets" nor is their metabolism typical, either.

Sauerkraut is good for calming the stomach.

Did not explain that we pour the contents of the capsules of Curcumin into warm water, stir, and then down the tube. No issues with getting it to the stomach

Interesting that dosage in the trials were larger than what my wife is taking.

The other thing I found is that I can be sensitive to some of the additives so I've tried various brands. I realize why they add pepper as it's supposed to provide better absorption but the research says the benefit might not be from absorption but from alteration of the microbiome.

At any rate, I'll continue to take mine with meals.

The other thing I found is that I can be sensitive to some of the additives so I've tried various brands. I realize why they add pepper as it's supposed to provide better absorption but the research says the benefit might not be from absorption but from alteration of the microbiome.

At any rate, I'll continue to take mine with meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back