Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Yakima
Now that I have started using the ventilator and a full face mask to maintain energy during the day, I have been suffering, after a couple of hours on it, from popping of ears which results in loud distracting amplification of my breathing sounds. This never happens when laying down,

Any tips for resolving this?

Thanks
Bruce

Do you use a FF mask at night, Bruce -- the same mask? Anything else different? Does the room you are in during the day have open windows/a fan or different climate control?

First thought goes to mask fit; even little leaks/movement in a full face mask can affect ears. It's harder to maintain a good seal with a FF mask sitting up. I would consider a nasal mask. And if your weather resembles ours, it's smoky and dry right now. Check the humidification and mask fit.

I use the same mask night and day. Mask fit checks out fine.
Central air conditioning is keeping our closed up house uniform.
I have tried and can't maintain a mouth seal with nasal pillow or mask.
I feel like I'm on a commercial flight with a cold. It's a difference between barometric pressure in the room and inside my oropharyngeal cavity. The ear drum flexes out from the greater pressure behind it.
I used a lower PS max this afternoon which helped my ear drums, but left me feeling more tired from lack of support.

If a lower PS helped, that very much implies that mask design/fit is still an issue, whatever the numbers say. I would try a mask liner and/or a sleep cap, and maybe an OTC nasal steroid. And either warmer or colder water in your humidifier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back