Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Ont
City
Toronto
First off Merry Xmas to all and happy holidays. I posted a few days back and did receive a reply- tks. I spoke to my neuro as I remain concerned and he claims that I don't have the ALS criteria for that diagnosis. I found a dimple on my thigh with muscle thigh weakness that occurred suddenly albeit I believe I noticed the dimple a month or so before the neuro visit. I spoke to the neuro again on Xmas eve given that I was very worried. I was doing a lot of repetitive work and stress on my back. He noticed little reflex on my right knee but all else was deemed normal reflex. He believes I could have L4/L3 radiculopathy or Lumbrasacral plexitis. Nevertheless, does ALS start with wasting of muscle or weakness and then wasting? I guess I remain concerned despite his suggestions that despite weakness and some muscle atrophy it's not suggestive of ALS given the clinical exam he performed on me. Will be doing an MRI on my back and a nerve conduction test to assess any nerve root damage. Given my history of lower back issues he doesn't see ALS as a high probability.

Finally, after over the last wk the weakness in my thigh remains but there is some improvement in strength albeit modest. Is it true that once this begins in an ALS patient weakness gets worse?

Tks and sorry for the rambling. Your mind can be the biggest detriment when one is seeking answers and comfort. Neuro said that in ALS patients there is no improvement period. Also during my tests with the neuro he did ask me to walk, walk on my heels, toes, Babinski testsand looked at all typical reflexes etc including strength tests. All normal except my right thigh weakness and low reflex signal. Is ALS that simple? Tks very much for your valued input.

Please don't waste our time anymore on here. Your neuro is telling you that you don't have ALS. If you don't believe him that that is your problem not ours. We aren't going try to compete with a doctor and try to tell you something different. If you have confidence with the Dr. your going to get a second opinion. If by some small chance your test ever point to ALS you are more then welcome to join us. But, the mean time it doesn't look like you are needing to join . I'd take your questions strictly to a doctor only. Thank you.

Your neuro is correct. When one has ALS there is never any improvement. Ever. Weakness only worsens. Everything your doctor has tested points AWAY from it. Simple as that. Have confidence in his findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back