Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Hello, I am mostly looking for hope here, wondering if someone else showed similar symptoms and had it turn out to be something different. My 32 year old brother is the one going through this so my information is second hand (I am not at his appointments so am not hearing exactly what the docs say). Bare with me please, I will try to keep it short.

Here is what I know in summary: The past 3/4 years he has experienced shaking (not twitching) in his left hand, it has only been in the last 6 months or so that he has noticed weakness and it has started affecting his daily activities. For example, he has trouble buttoning his shirt or lifting a cup to his mouth. He went to his physician who sent him to a neurologist for some tests as he couldn't find any reason for these symptoms. The first neurologist told him it was likely an MND and sent him to the UofM for another opinion and further testing. They have ruled out diseases such as MS, Parkinson's, Graves, and from what I understand, the other 4 MNDs. He is scheduled to go to the Mayo in December for yet another opinion and most likely confirmation.

I have been doing as much research as possible, this has been a tough pill to swallow and I have a hard time accepting this as a possibility. My thought is that, as far as I have read, shaking isn't a symptom of ALS, he is younger than those normally diagnosed and has been experiencing symptoms for quite some time. These things make me hopeful that they are missing something; however, they are running out of things to rule out.

Does anyone have some insight or personal experience with slow progression or shaking as a symptom? Maybe know of someone in a similar situation that ended up having something else?

My positive thoughts are with all of you,

Kristen

Kristen,

Neurological conditions are difficult to pinpoint as many mimic each other. Unfortunately, getting a diagnosis can be a long haul. Often, a 'wait & see' period is needed. Has an EMG test been done? In terms of my own ALS, I can tell you, shaking was not a symptom.

I understand you are very concerned for your brother; December will be here before we know it. Try to relax and help your brother relax as much as possible. It's not easy - but not impossible. I think you have good reason to be hopeful that your brother does not have ALS.

Do come back and let us know.

I get shaking sometimes in my hands, but it is only if I am trying to lift something or I have just finished exerting myself. I do NOT have shaking when I am sitting still. There are no tremors or palsy-like movements.

My shaking is limited primarily to when I eat or drink. I sometimes need two hands for a cup of water and an over-size spoon is usually best for limiting the shaking.

Again, the shaking I get is after exertion or during exertion NOT at rest.

I hope you find a simple answer and solution quickly.

God Bless

they talk about the dreaded as a diagnosed of omission.......but, they cant omit other deseases either...so how can that be.............the way my tiny mind sees it is its not till it obviously is.......i reckon.....johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back