Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Groveport
Hi Everyone, My name is Peggy and I am new to the forums.

I am curious about something. I know that ALS presents different in people and people progress different. Here's my question...

What's the difference between shaky/wobbly legs (visibly) not just "feeling" they are, when walking or normal activity, especially in the thigh/knee area as opposed to "weakness". For PALS who experience leg weakness at onset, did this happen first before drop foot happens, falls and tripping? Do legs weaken gradually or with ALS does it just appear one day and progresses?

Since the first week of August I have had symptoms that I've never had before. It started with a shaky/tremoring feeling all over, they always seem to be worse in the morning upon waking, and sometimes while first falling asleep. Then a couple weeks later all over body twitches started up and are still continuing. Since this has all started I have what i feel & look like is wobbly and shaky legs that make me concerned that I could fall at any time and I feel I have to force myself to do things that require alot of standing or walking because of the way my legs feel. After doing simple things like going up stairs or standing in church services I begin feeling like i need to sit down. Recently during a service where I stood for a long period, trying best to stay standing though legs where wobbly, both of my feet began to tingle and become mildly numb. Yesterday for no apparent reason both of my hands went numb also and that lasted for a couple hours. I have another PCP appointment because he said in August if the symptoms didn't subside he wanted me to come back because i could be developing a myopathy. That didn't sound good. My legs also buzz, my left calf and foot mostly all the time. I have always small balance issues because of vertigo and inner ear issues but this situation is causing more imbalance. I have read some about BFS on this site and the BFS forum itself, however i keep reading "perceived" weakness, is seeing the and feeling the wobbly unstableness really still considered "perceived"?

For those who actually have ALS, it takes a lot of energy to respond to someone who is "interested"

Shakey/wobbly legs is not weakness......people with flu or such viruses can feel weak and shaky.
True weakness is the inability to perform normal everyday tasks or movement that does not get better.
True weakness in legs would be difficulty in walking /movement.....to me with umn/mnd its hard to move my legs forward and I am slow,sometimes its like trying to walk in water with your legs straight.
As for footdrop,my personal experience is that one day I realised my lower leg and foot were dragging.......a bit like if your leg went to sleep but without the physical feeling. On my first neuro appointment he found I had clinical weakness in that leg.

For me it took quite a while before I realized I had weakness. Others noticed that I was stumbling/falling, I just thought I was being clumsy. Maybe I was a little slow in the uptake. Family complaining that I was slurring my words. I didn't believe them, told them to clean out their ears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back