Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
orange county
City
laguna woods
I have a puzzle ! I have read on many occasions that ALS does not affect smell or taste. I have lost my voice & have a loss of most of the foods I used to love, I was a choco- holick it now tastes awful. white bread, cake,Pastry, & many others, Does any one else have this problem. Love to hear from you one way or another. Thanks.

Hi Edna May - I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste and often feel quite hungry - always had a huge appetite - but lately eating is not so pleasurable. My tongue and face gets sore, and anything I eat causes indigestion. I once would climb a mountain for chocolate but now I let it sit there. Not worth the effort.

edna May

Hi CindyM Thanks for answering, I know what you mean, but I am able to make myself eat some things , I am trying to hold on to my weight.EM

edna may said:
I have a puzzle ! I have read on many occasions that ALS does not affect smell or taste. I have lost my voice & have a loss of most of the foods I used to love, I was a choco- holick it now tastes awful. white bread, cake,Pastry, & many others, Does any one else have this problem. Love to hear from you one way or another. Thanks.

Hi edna may,

I have read the same thing, and I don't think it is true. Food tastes bad to me now. I used to love butter, now it tastes terrible. Even pizza, which I loved, tastes so flat. I can still smell very well, maybe better than before, but it is a bad thing, because most things smell bad to me, like food. We have it bad enough, it just isn't fair.

Conrad

Edna May - I forgot to tell you that I had nausea for weeks and everything turned me off. I was having indigestion and didn't know the symptoms. Never had it before. The minute I learned to take an OTC med food started tasting good again. Now, eating is just too much work, so I am developing a taste for ensure.

It must be hard to eat if it doesn't bring at least a little pleasure. Losing both taste and smell is tough. I hope you find a solution soon! Cindy

edna may said:

Are you taking minocycline or other antibiotics by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back