Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
I realize that this is probably silly or at the very least, I am being a worry wart. But I am truly worried about my husband getting sick this winter. We are all getting our flu shots this weekend, but with young kids, you know they are going to bring home germies. :x

I am hoping I can keep him healthy and away from the runny noses and coughing that comes with winter and school age children. But short of locking him in a separate part of the house, it is out of my hands. And for someone who has never really been a control freak....I am really freaking out.

My husband doesn't cough like he used to. It isn't forceful or strong. And I just don't want any nasty bacteria taking up residence.

DO YOU HEAR ME UNIVERSE?! KEEP THE ICKY BUGS AWAY FROM US THIS YEAR!

Ok, feel better that I got that out of my system. I have much more to worry about....completing the trust, Social Security applications, cleaning the house, doing laundry, the yards........you get the idea.

Phew.....TGIF!;-)

Keep a bottle of germex by the door and have everyone use it as they walk in. If anyone is sniffling tell them to stay away. This is no time to politically correct.

You're still doing the yard? Wow! We have a lawn service in our neighborhood (Thank Goodness!)but they don't take care of the beds or courtyard. We've a jungle back there that even the cat and dog don't like to enter. LOL
Hang in there!

I dont want to worry you but I caught a cold last year couldnt clear the discharge and ended up with pnumonia. Since then, I bought an economy size bottle of germ-x and use it constantly. I am still trying to work so I am constantly around sick coworkers and customers but knock on wood have not had a problem since. Flu shots and germ-x seems to be working for me.

If you do not ave a cough assist machine, by all means get your dr/clinic to get you one. It helped me when I had a light cold last year. It should be used all the time , it should help keep the lungs and diaphragm in a little better shape.

Keep the germy people away...even the ones who say..oh its just allergies. There was some study done that said more germs are spread by 'allergy' germs than actual cold/flu germs! Best wishes that the flu bug stays clear of your hourse...guess you could always wrap it in bubble wrap and call it the 'bubble house' ;)

I would also disinfect the channel changer and phones. They said on the news they have more bacteria than a toilet seat. Yuck

The bad thing is that people with colds are contagious before they even know they're sick.

Germ-X, flu shot are your best bets. Treat any cold at the first sign. Mucinex if he gets congested. Watch anything from the lungs for colors other than clear (yellow and green are infection)

medical masks can also be worn by those who notice symptoms of colds or flu
hand washing is the biggest. dont blow your nose and then attend to hubby... things like that.

I am afraid of getting a cold too...so I wash my hands everytime I come in from being somewhere else than home. I also keep my hands away from my face and nose and mouth. If anybody has a cold I tell them to stay away. Its harder with children, but I would isolate him away from others. A cough assist machine sounds great. Praying that the germs stay away from him!

Thank you all for the advice! And for not telling me I am silly. I have lots of hand sanitizer and soap in the house, as well as, EmercenC which I have used in the past to ward off colds. Here is hoping we have a nice flu free winter!

We are in the middle of dealing with our first seasonal cold. It does take its toll on my partner. I used cough assist yesterday, and have now started with antibiotics (green 'stuff' was coughed up so presumably an infection). We keep an 'emergency' pack of antibiotics to hand to stop things in its tracks.

I worry too about the kids bringing hope a cold. I think I better go buy some germX this week. LOL. If hubby does get a cold, I dont want the kids to feel guilty that they made him sick either...

Yes, keep an anti-bacteria gel or whatever by the door and encourage your children to use it at school too - as often as they think about using it. And make sure that anybody who is sick or has been around sick people does not come to your home. This kept the bugs out of our household, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back