Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
Va
City
Southern
I can't figure out why the peg leaks and where it's coming from. Both openings are shut but somehow it's leaking. Anyone having this issue? :confused::confused:

Michelle, could you give more detail? My husband's PEG has never leaked, unless the stoppers were not secured properly.

how old is it? is it leaking from the tube or the stoma? if its the tube, where on the tube? the ends where the stoppers are?

My husband's leaks from the stoma sometimes.

Is it a tube with a replaceable end or a balloon type? My tube had a pinhole so I had to change it out.

It seems to leak around the stopper. I check it and it's closed. I can't figure out why or how it's leaking. I got it in March, so it's pretty new. It's a replaceable end I'm sure because it pulled out and we stuck it back in.

Last edited:
The end of the tube can get stretched out over time, from repeated insertion of syringes and tube feedings. Does the "stopper" feel loose when you close it? My mom's cap (what I call it), has been replaced 4 times since January 2010. After having to go to the GI clinic for replacement, I strongly insisted on having 1 or 2 back ups at home. They told me they couldn't give them to me, but I explained what an unnecessary trip to the hospital this is. When the stopper gets too stretched out, it can pop open by itself making a yucky mess. When the cap gets worn, it completely breaks off. I was extremely relieved each time I replaced it, that I could just handle the problem at home. We started using the tube exclusively in July 2010. Yours does seem to be fairly new. Do you use it for all meds, water, and feedings?

Just a little off topic, just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. When the ALS Dr. and staff first approached the PEG, they really pushed it, made it sound very common. Yet every time I've called about the cap being "stretched out" or broken, they act surprised-- even clueless-- as if I've done something wrong. My mom has also had bowel issues from the start. I've gone round and round with the clinic staff regarding this. I guess this experience has left me feeling like PEGs are not that common, and the medical staff isn't as "all knowing" about feeding tubes as they assured us they were.

In the end, it's all worth it, as my mom would most certainly be gone without it. Just expressing how proactive I've had to be with the medical staff concerning something they made sound so common. I hope you get a quick resolution to your leakage problem. I have used medical tape on my mom's, to keep it tightly secured until I could get it replaced.

Laura

Thank you so much. I knew I couldnt be the only one. Hopefully they won't give us a hard time requesting a few for backup.

When I had that kind of tube I would replaced the end regularly. Very easy and saves a mess!

Thank you Barry. I'm sure the docs are aware of this, so I wonder why they don't give a few to have on hand. Geez!

I hav ebeen a nurse for a long time. I had a patient that had a leak that was coming from the stoma(hole into abdomen) the GI told me that it is normal for the stoma to expand and contract creating leakage. Spasms, twitches will make that worse. You can put Maalox around the stoma if there is a burning or stinging sensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back