Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Cleveland
Dear friends,

I'm sure this will sound like a broken record, as I've read and searched the forums over the last few weeks and I'm familiar with many of the stories.

I'm a 33 year old male. Approximately 6 weeks ago while holding a book in my left hand I noticed a slight tremor, a few days later I began noticing random twitching that would occur in the hand/fingers periodically throughout the day.

Since then I've noticed that most of my symptoms have to do with posture. If my hand and arm is on an armrest, a dull, tingly pain will develop. The arm will feel very heavy and the twitches will become more frequent. If I leave the hand on the armrest long enough moderate pain will continue in the hand-wrist-forearm for about 24 hours. When the arm is removed from the armrest the pain will linger but the other symptoms will go away.

If I make certain my arm is extended straight as much as possible and the arm is not placed on the armrest I'm more or less asymptomatic, however there is still a slight tremor in the left hand.

I've been to my family M.D., an Orthopedic M.D. and a Neurologist. I was quite concerned after doing a Google search about "muscle twitching", they all said there are no signs of ALS, however for some reason I am still quite nervous and depressed about this. Blood was taken (normal) and a EMG is scheduled for Monday. The Neurologist thought I didn't need the EMG, but since the Orthopedic M.D. ordered it she said it would be good for reassurance.

My M.D.'s haven't noticed any weakness but I feel a weakness in my left wrist and of course the slight hand/finger tremor.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time and God Bless.

datafox...have you ever heard of the little riddle of the patient who goes into the doctor and says: "Doc, it hurts when I do this?" The doctor looks at the patient and simply says "Then don't do that!".

By your description it sounds like you are keeping your arm on the arm rest to the point of severe pain. My question to you is why didn't you move your arm the minute it started hurting..instead of seeing how long you could go and then have repercussions from it with twitches?

Since you are getting an EMG on Monday, I would try and relax till then as your dr.s have also said to do. Sounds like it is going to come back clean and you will be just fine...according to your neuro. Also, if the dr. says you have no weakness then that means that clinically you do not. You may feel fatigue in your wrist, but you should not write weakness unless has been clincially defined as so by your doctor. To me it sounds more like a pinched nerve or early onset of carpal tunnel causing your symptoms. Good luck to you and try not to worry, by the symptoms you have described you do not have ALS.

The most common cause of the pain you are talking about is going to be a trapped nerve in your elbow. I believe it's called cubital tunnel. The nerve gets trapped basically when the arm is bent. My daughter, age 28, has the exact same issue.

Could also be from the neck. EMG and NCV will sort it out.

Good Luck to you.

This sounds as if you've let your imagination and a dose of health anxiety run away with you and take over your life. It is, of course, your choice whether or not to continue down your current path.

Your doctors have given you their opinions.

You've done your own experiments and discovered what exacerbates and what relieves your actual symptoms.

Your experiments confirm what your doctors suggest: that the particular anatomy of your arm makes you susceptible to nerve compression if you aren't careful how you use your arm.

Why do you reject that simple explanation in favor of something entirely inappropriate? Answer that question and you'll have some insight into what's really wrong with you.

Change your chair and use good posture while you're sitting in that new chair. Get some help with that health anxiety too.

Thank you for all of your replies. There is a lot of truth in what all of you said.

Preliminary EMG findings showed that I am a severe hypochondriac. While the full report hasn't been released I don't think there were any abnormalities from what the Neurologist said.

God Bless.

Patient: Doctor, doctor - every time I have a cup of tea I get a stabbing pain in my right eye
Doctor: Do you take sugar?
Patient: Yes, why?
Doctor: Try removing the teaspoon before drinking....!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back