Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
I have been approved for a 30% service connected disability due to my ALS diagnosis. The VA has scheduled me for an examination through a private medical facility to determine my current level of disability. Can anyone out there give me an idea of what to expect?/thanks/Frank

The examiner will check your hands/arms and legs/feet as well as swallowing/talking. There are no invasive tests. It is done mostly by observation. Get them to make an assessment for special aid and attendance, too. If you qualify, this will give you extra monthly income for either your spouse or to pay someone to help you with daily needs. My husband's exam lasted about 10 minutes.

Definitely don't push yourself to do 'as much as you can' during your exam. It will help them determine your normal ability and level of assistance needed to accomplish daily tasks--if it's anything like the one I had when my disability was first being obtained.

People tend to push themselves and do as much as they can--sometimes we can do more when we push ourselves than we really should do.

Good luck. The VA will be giving you all kinds of assistance with things--even vehicle and other adaptions. There is even a grant to help get an accessible van if you need it--and with ALS--you will at some point.

Notme is right. You want to show the examiner what you are like in your WORST moment. You want your rating to be as high as the examiner can assess you.

Spent four years in the Marine Corp and got out in 67' and never wanted anymore service time. Got ALS in 2010' and thought I was in a jam and thank God the V.A. saved me. You've got a lot of benefits due you and it will make your life easier as time goes along. Usually, using (DAV) will get things done faster and easier on your family. Hang tough cause it will get easier! Its just the first couple of months with the V.A. and you will start getting packages everyday. Also, this forum and its threads is a great way to find out whats going on next in our lives.

Take care
FishingRod

Great info. My heartfelt thanks to all./Frank

Thanks. I was diagnosed in early November 2010 and second opinion confirmed later that month. Fortunately, there has been no noticeable advancement in the disease other than perhaps a little muscle deterioation. Thanks again./Frank

Hi Frank
Scott also received 30% Disability (2nd diagnosis from Emory ALS in April 2011) after receiving help from a PVA rep. For the evaluation, we went to a medical facility in Atlanta. So glad he took his mobility scooter because he would never have been able to walk that far. We were in a little office with other vets and spent about 10 minutes with the doctor. I filled out about 10 pages on his symptoms that were input into the computer by the receptionist and doctor after the exam. We still haven't heard back from the VA.

Last month we attended the ALS Support Group in Norcross. The next meeting is Thursday, June 23rd at the Norcross United Methodist Church at 11:00. It was very helpful.
Come if you can.

Regards
Georgia Peach

Thank you, Georgia Peach, for the info on Scott's evaluation in Atlanta. My appointment is with the QTC Medical Group, 1720 Peachtree St NW #125 and I suppose that is where Scott went. Your info in very helpful. Also, thanks for the invite to the support group. I have been to the Marietta support group a couple of times and have found the group to be very helpful. We owe a special thanks to the ALS Association and their patient service representatives for making the meetings possible ! ! !/frank

Hi Fishing Rod
Have you applied for the grant for a handicapped accessible vehicle? How long did it take for approval?
Have you applied for any structural changes to your residence? We live in a home with both bathrooms on the second floor. Just wondering how long the grants take to work their way through the VA.
Thanks
Georgia Peach

As always great advice here! The exams I've gone through (was through VA ratings), was basically a physical. Try to bend this, push etc...nothing more. The one that examined me asked me to stand (I am in a wheelchair). I told him to be ready to catch me, I went to stand and crumbled directly. Exam over! I haven't recieved my rating yet, but the PVA rep. told me she feels that I'll be R1. Different regions take different amounts of time to process everything. I just applied a month ago so it does seem to moving along. Where I'm at Roanoke, VA is my regional office, all the major stuff wheelchair, ramps....etc. is handled by what they call major medical then I was sent to the OT. Georgia my PVA rep says that my grants should be approved within a month. I'll let you know what happens. We live in a single wide, where my wheelchair doesn't fit through the hall to the bathroom. So I know what your pals is going through. We put in for the full grant and am planning on buying a house or possibly building one. Of course we'll have to get a loan along with the grant. They did say they were going to send an OT to check out our place. Anyways that's where I'm at. I'll let you know how long it takes (if you don't get finished first)..

Fair warning. It will take far longer than a month before the renovations begin. We applied in July, and our renovations began in December. We had someone that pushed everything through quickly, too. It often takes upwards of a year to get to the point of construction.

Thanks for the warning, Miss. I thought it might be to good to be true!

Hi, Georgia Peach-

Yes, I have applied for a handicapped vehicle, got a new 2010 Honda Odyssey. It took approximately two months from the day I started to the day I ended up with my vehicle. Remember when you are dealing with the V.A. ALS patients go to the top of the stack of files. It is a shame that we have to tell the V.A. that, "time is of the essence!" Usually dealing with disabled veterans at the V.A. they can get things done faster.

Yes, I have started on construction on my home, had ramps built in my garage to enter my home with my wheelchair. I DIDN'T WANT RAMPS IN THE FRONT OF MY HOUSE!

Continuation of above-

Sorry I hit enter by mistake. The V.A. is going to take the carpet out of my master bedroom and install wood flooring, wheelchairs have a tendency to tear the carpet up when you make turns. They are going to do some changes in the master bathroom as well, add some tile to the walls and install a fancy toilet that will help rinse the bottom after using the restroom.

Also, make sure that you apply for the life insurance believe it or not that they will give you. Its cheap! I was only able to receive $10,000 dollars worth, (age 65) I believe if you are under 65 you can get $20,000 dollars life insurance. Also, if you don't use all of your house construction money I believe that amount will go towards your mortgage, but you have to pay for that mortgage also. There might be an increase in October or November of this year on that. Also, a five thousand dollar increase on the purchase of your handicapped vehicle. The disabled veterans should tell you all of these things. I live in Austin, Texas, and we have a state law that if you are 100 percent disabled, or even 30 percent disabled veteran as long as you are alive your property taxes will be zero. All you have to do is bring your letter stating the amount of disability. This will help your family immensely. I have a twelve year old son and the V.A. told me they would help pay for his college and also he would get a monthly stipend. I have a 529 for his college fund but he can use that for grad school. Again it is really important for you to contact the Disabled Veterans as I feel they are our best and most powerful resource for receiving our benefits. I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever need them, but they have really been a major factor in helping me and my family.

If I can help you in any way just get on the forum and leave me a message. I am sure their are other veterans that can help as well.

Have a nice day, Georgia Peach :)
FishingRod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back