Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
My husband, daughter, and I, want to participate in the ALS walk in the Chicago, Illinois, area (in Cantigny Park, Wheaton, Illinois) that will be held May 21st. Has anyone else formed a team that you would let us join? If not, we'll walk as a family but it would be nice to be part of a team!

Debbie

I'd like to go, but I can't fit it in this year. I am teaching and this may be my last year. That means there is much to do in late May. I plan to be there next year, so if we create a team I will post it in here so you can see it and join us.

Thank you for the reply. Looks like my family will just have to be it's own team this year! :)

Debbie

Thanks for the response. I'd love to be there, but my daughter is also moving home to help me and the move might land on that weekend. I simply can't pack another event into May. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I watched an aunt die of als when I was 16. It's the thing I've dreaded most all my life, yet now that it's here, I'm dealing with it better than I expected. I think a part of me knew when I first had trouble with my hands, but they didn't hurt. That started about 15 months ago and my left leg started getting odd about 2 months ago. I'm really hoping this means I'm slower at this than my aunt was. She died about 18 months after her legs went. BTW, neither of my aunt's sons have this and they are both older than me, so think positive! Well, my name on here says it all. I'm trying to stay happy!

Bhappy,

I'll pray that things progress VERY SLOWLY for you, and as we walk, I'll pray a cure comes SOON!

Debbie

I just registered my family as the team "Fighting Fratinis". If anyone wants to join our team, that's the one to look for!

Debbie

KinzaDAF, News! Now that same daughter I mentioned is thinking of organizing a team too! We may see you there after all! I'm sorry I didn't know about this new development until today (after you created a team). When I know our team name, I'll let you know.

Debbie,
Now we have a team too! Look for "Defeat the Claw" my daughter came up with this. It was our first attempt at making a joke of my awkward hands long before the ALS diagnosis.
Mary

Mary,

That is great news! I LOVE the name your daughter came up with! We'll have to find a way to recognize each other at the Walk. (I don't know what we'll be wearing yet.)

Debbie

dont know how many above are familiar with walk to defeat website. fyi walktodefeatals.org click on first entry. red page should
appear. right side enter state, click go. scroll down to find walk near you. click on city and you can view registered walkers and teams,
how to register and other important information for local walks. get as many of your family and friends involved and start seeking
financial supporters now. thank you for your interest and wishing you success. i have my new letter ready to mail out to all family and
friends on our christmas card list seeking sponsors. last year mailed out over 100 letters with huge response. our local office goal last
year was 80,00, raised 96000. this years goal 130000. personnal goal 7500. wish me luck.

Pearshoot,
It's the same ALSA Walk to Defeat organization that you are in. I didn't decide to do this until late in the game since I got the DX in mid Feb. 2011 and I'm still teaching full time. We've contacted almost everyone through email and we've had an amazing response in 10 days. My hands were the first thing to go, so as much as I love your Christmas card idea, it's not going to happen since I'm the one who always did the cards here!
Mary

Bhappy
teaching is an exhausting job (i'v beeb there) take care of yourself and get as much rest as possible. reference letter idea, i make up a letter, print 100 copies and mail one to everybody i know with a return addressed envelope. will start the ,mailing in june for sept 17th walk. i don,t have an e-mail list as this is all new to me. technology comes slow for this opinionated 75 year old pals. just so pleased you can participate

Pearshoot,
Yes, teaching can be exhausting, but I have a wonderful team who helps me out a lot. I haven't really reached the exhaustion level yet. I've only had one episode where I could have fallen asleep sitting up after a long walk! I think all the things I still can do are keeping me somewhat in the land of denial. Although when I do struggle with a simple task, it slams reality back in my face. Overall, I'm finding that taking this one day at a time is helping the most. Thanks for all the advice.
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back