Status
Not open for further replies.
wish i could scream I sure would...lol

Thanks everyone. Last few days, there have been no TIA's that we are aware of, so thats good. Legs are getting weaker and he has had another fall , didn't break anything though so thats a positive.

Hand, when I feel the need to scream, I will scream for you as well :)

Yes, a good scream once in a while would be goooooooooooood.... This is just so darn sad.... not the journey we all thought we would be taking? Take care, Hugs, linda

Thanks Linda. This week has been better, still seeing changes with his strength and his speech, but no more TIA's so thats good and no falls so thats even better.

Yes , I am losing my speech. Even my GP is saying "Say that again"

Ok , we have all had to call for support or service , and the person on the other end of the phone is in India. Remember how terrible their english was ? And their accent is priceless.

Well now is the time for payback.

Call them up and let them try to figure out what you are saying.

Glen

Love that Glen,payback, gotta love it. By the way, love the picture( is that called an avatar?) Is that your cat , or a picture that you found?

Funny Glen! They've hung up on my husband more than once, even those that spoke perfect English in the states. But doing it just for fun would be, well...FUN!:twisted:

LOL its a picture I found while browsing , and I decided it was too cool to pass up. Yes, its called an avatar.

Hi Sanderson, Welcome. It sounds like there is something else going on with your Dad. I had my DX after I almost lost my voice. I thought that it was just a sore throat at the time I was 38, my voice would go out for weeks at a time and when it would come back it would be very slured. I still have somewhat of a voice they showed me how to use my stomach muscle at the MDA and it works better then not saying nothing at all. Your Dad age maybe has something to do with the way he is loosing his voice I'm not to sure but, eventually he will loose speech thats part of ALS or Bulbar palsy. For everyone Else I had my DX at age 38 progessive bulbar palsy. I went for an stem cell transplant. It helped I'm now 43 in a month 44. I can still walk with a cane, Talk, eat. I have alot of pain and atrophy. I went to Mexico and had an empilical blood cord stem cell transplant if anyone wants to know about it give me a shout. I'm not trying to promote anything I just know what helped me a little. When I went for it I could bearly eat anymore and was giving up on life, after the transplant I could eat again, soft foods only. I'm stepping backwards again but it gave me a few more years of quality life. I wish they would allow this in the states. I haven't the money to go again but if they would allow it here and the insurance would pick it up OMG we wouldn't have to suffer so bad. I'm back up to 29 different meds a day and now having trouble with everything. still live on my own but, I pray for the end soon. Take care everyone.

Hi DouginDet. Thanks for your post. The Docs are pretty sure that dad was having TIA's ( mini strokes) and that was what was causing him to lose his voice. Thankfully he hasn't had any in a week. His speech is still understandable, but his tone and volume are weakening.

I am sorry to read about your decline. This disease is a horrible one( which I know is the understatement of the year). The folks on these boards are very helpful and supportive, , thank you for sharing your story. Do you have help at home ?

HI sanderson i am totally new to this support site and have been reading all of the advice and support given.I have ALS and have been losing my speech progressively now for 4 months difficulty in pronouncing certain sounds and slurring especially when tired are my problems so i dont think your dads speech problem is ALS. As a person with the illness i try and look at how my children feel about watching this gradual deterioration and i know that im more comfortable about what is happening to my body than they are. I try to reassure them and make the point that to accept it because it is going to happen and try to adjust to the changes with me as it is so much better for them and me.When they do the practical care they are being a part of my new adjustment and showing their acceptance and love.My daughter felt the same as you she was so emotionally upset for me but when she actually asked me how i felt about it and i said i had come to terms with what was going to happen she felt better. Tell your Dad your worried about how he is coping and im sure his answers may help you to cope ... BEST WISHES you are a wonderful daughter i know because i have one too ... hugs karen

Sanderson

My FIL also experienced those symptoms and still does more often now, at first I thought TIA because it was just like the expressive dysphgia that you see with TIA, but his neuropsyc doc says that it was common in frontal temporal lobe dementia that can sometimes accompany ALS and that is what he diagnoised dad with along with the ALS. Double whammy doesn't even scratch the surface. I hope your dad starts responding to the meds they started him on, and the episodes don't return,prayers and hugs sent your way.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. To update, dad hasnt had any more of thos times when he couldnt talk. or when he did it came out as gibberish. We think he may have been having TIA's. he is however declining physically, in what we feel has been a rapid decline. He is now pretty much wheelchair bound, he can support to pivot transfer but not for much longer I think. He is being fed, and his appetite is not as it once was and he requires total physical care. His speech, while still understandable most of the time, is weakening and becoming harder and harder to understand. Thankfully, for the most part, his emotional health is good. He also is still very cognitively well. I am enjoying every moment that I can spend with him, though not enjoying this disease that is taking him from us, I am thankful for the opportunity to be part of his journey. As I have said before, my dad is my hero, and I so want to protect him from this but I cant.
Thank you for reasponding, I dont post often, but I do read alot of the posts and I take support and comfort and hope that I can give some too at times.
Susan

Good Morning Sanderson!
I have just finished reading through all the posts for this thread concerning your dad. I am truly sorry for the decline he is experiencing. You are very fortunate that he is emotionally in good spirits. I know he's your hero. My mom, who was diagnosed in Sept 2009, is my hero. She has been, for the most part, in a really good mood and her humor has increased. She's very brave about this disease. She has told me before that she isn't angry and that she's not scared. I know I am, but I do my best to keep it to myself.
Give your dad lots of hugs and tell him often that you love him. Tell him a joke, too! My mom loves a good joke. :)
Thank you for the recent update. Keep us posted.
Have a blessed day.

i myself would have a throat study test to see how his muscles in the throat are mine staeted with gibberish talk now its very hard to undrstand me i sound drunk .excuse me its called a swallow study test i would begin there i pray all works out this is a horribe illness that affects the whole family i will pray for you guys god bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back