Diagnosis
05/2006
Country
US
State
Ms
City
Gulfport
I recently began to have pain in my bottom area and went to the Doctor after putting up with it for over 3 weeks. I told him I know this is not happening, but it feels like my tail bone is trying to come through my skin.
He shocked me by saying, It is.
You have a pressure sore that starts on the inside of the body and works it way out to the skin. You must not sit up so much in your wheelchair, and every 15 minutes lay your chair back to relieve the pressure. If it breaks through the skin then it can get infected and be very dangerous.
Sad to say he had to tell me that in front of my wife, who of course had been saying the same thing. :razz::shock: Don't you men just hate it when that happens?

By the way I use a ROHO air cushion on my wheelchair, it is suppose evenly distribute the pressure to prevent this. Yes, I had the pressure checked by the wheelchair man. That was embarrassing. He had to put his hand under my bottom and let out air until only a hand width of thickness was left. At least that was his story.:oops:

Just a thought not all sores possibly come from the bed.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound fun at all! I've heard wonderful things about sheep skin for "bed sores" might be worth looking into.

The VA sent me a ROHO Nexus Spirit this past Thursday and I hate it. We've adjusted the pressure per the instructions and after just a couple hours in it I felt like I spent all day on the receiving end of a frat paddle. We adjusted is a few times adding more air or letting some out with the same result. I have a gel cushion that was one the Q6000 I bought off of here and it is infinitely more comfortable. First thing Monday morning the VA is getting a call and I'm asking for a gel cushion.

The ROHO cushions need to have their pressure just right. It takes awhile to get used to adjusting it right. One pump of air can make a lot of difference. I find my cushion extremely comfortable - if the air is set right, if it isn't then it can be extremely uncomfortable. It takes very little air to make the difference. I don't use the "hand under my butt" method to set the air. We just play with it until it is comfortable. It requires more air than what they recommend.

Ouch and dignity ouch MtPockets , hope you get something under you , or a position to prevent a break in the skin .
As you can imagine at 39 kilos , I haven't got a lot of meat on my tail bone either . At home I have a dynamic air mattress on my
profiling bed , and in my comp chair and my wheelchair I have a gel cushion . I also have a recliner so I can take all pressure off
for a while . xx

All I can say is when I sat in a gel cushion it was immediately comfortable with no adjusting required. I have never had an issue in the past and I spend hours seated on a memory foam cushion shown on my site in an office chair without ever having a problem. I spent a few hours in the ROHO on a few occasions and days later I'm still paying the price. I'm not knocking ROHO, too many people like them for there to be a problem with the cushion but for my backside ROHO is a NOGO.

Sugar treats bedsores better than any antibiotic.

I posted this article a while ago but thought I would re-post here. .

Time Magazine/CNN

Decubitus ulcers, or bedsores, have for centuries plagued patients and stubbornly resisted the efforts of doctors to cure them. But it appears that the sores, which result from the continuous pressure of the body against the bed, are succumbing to new versions of an almost forgotten medical approach:

sweetness. Dr. James Barnes Jr., of the Glenn Dale Hospital in Glenn Dale, Md., reports in the A.M.A. Journal that a high concentration of common granulated sugar, applied daily to bedsores under a special airtight bandage, clears them up. Dr. Robert Blomfield of Chelsea, England, reports similar results when he uses honey. Neither doctor is sure why his treatment works, though Barnes believes that sugar may boost the inflammatory reaction essential to the healing process. Barnes found that sugar produced a 78% cure rate when applied to the bedsores of 180 patients treated during a five-year period. Blomfield says that it works better than any other medication he has used.

A Sweet Cure?

For extreme cases of bedsores, don't be surprised if your doctor reaches for the sugar jar instead of the medicine cabinet. Sugar has been found to help hard-to-heal areas such as bedsores by acting as a scavenger of sorts--picking up dead bacteria and white blood cells. This debris is later flushed away when the wound is cleansed with water.

Sugar also absorbs moisture from the wounds and creates an unfavorable environment for bacterial growth, says Alvin B. Segelman, Ph.D., former professor of pharmacognosy at Rutgers University College of Pharmacy in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and now vice president for research and development for Natures Sunshine Products, based in Utah. But never try using sugar on any wound yourself, unless you're under the care of a health professional.

A Natural Cure For Bed Sores
By: McCain

My family found out about a home remedy for bed sores, plain sugar. My dad had been in the hospital for over a month and develop an awful bed sore. It had to be cut on 2 or 3 times to clean the infection out, which increase the size of the sore. The hospital staff treated it with some type of germ fighting solution but it became worse and worse.
When he returned home, it was one and one half inches wide and about an inch deep. We had seen in an article that doctors where treating hard healing wounds with regular table sugar poured directly on or in the wound. It was working. So we asked the homebound nurse if she would try it when she came every day to cleanse and put medicine on it. She said she would be glad to but MUST have a doctor's approval first. To make a long story short, he said "yes" go ahead nothing is working anyway and I have heard of such a thing myself. She came back and started the treatment. Within a matter of days apparent healing was taking place and within 3 or 4 weeks, was healed.

How it works? Bacteria CAN NOT grow in the presence of sugar and sugar feeds the tissue directly.

haha you have a lovely sense of humour through all of this.
I will pass some of this info onto dad
x

Oh Marsha !

Oh John !

Oh Hopeful !

Hey Capt Al, My Roho cushion guy checks the air in the cushion the same way. What's chances of 2 weird guys working at the same job thousands of miles apart. The nice young lady OT at the Clinic checks it the same way. Don't think she gets any jollies feeling my scrawny butt.

AL.

Al-

No, but I bet you do! LOL

Laughing at Butt jokes?

We are a weird bunch aren't we?
Yes, I was kinda wondering about that guys credentials for awhile there.

I tried sitting on some sugar cubes, but that was a lame idea? Not really, but just imagine someone trying.:-D

Good idea to know about the sugar treatment. Glad there is something beside powder and water proof lotion, yuk.

I guess it will all work out in the end. :)

Last edited:
Years ago they used to use egg white and oxygen on pressure sores broken areas , but then they didn't have profiling beds , dynamic mattresses , and gel cushions and the like . Hopefully we should no longer see broken skin pressure points .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back