Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
UK
State
England
City
London
I sit in my riser recliner all day, and lie in my electric bed at night, so 24 hours a day I can adjust my position slighlty..but lately my heals (side of, not bottoms) are getting sore and I fear I may have sores coming. I often hang my feet out of the bed to reduce the pressure. My rear end is also suffering. I cannot wear underwear much now as the seams dig into me after a while...any hints on what I can do to alleviate this.

Sorry you're having these problems. Pressure sores - just the thought - is so scary. I have heard of using memory foam, and what you are doing - trying to move frequently. Someone said that they put a pillow at the ankles and let their feet hang over. Hope someone else has some answers for you.
Sharonca

Hi Jennifer,
Are you able to get a special air mattress for your bed, or special foam? When you are in bed make sure you put something under your calves so that your heels aren't touching the bed. Do you have access to equipment that is lent through MND association? Or perhaps through the Red Cross? You definitely need a foam or sheep skin cushion for your chair as it will be terrible if you wind up with pressure sores on your rear end. You are better not to have underwear on as it will also make you sweaty--sitting on a soft cotton sheet would be better. Do you have some home support care givers that could access some special supplies like mattress and cushions for you? Good luck.
Laurel

Imitation lamb's wool cloth worn on your heels...purchased at the pharmacy by the roll. Massage your heels at least twice daily for several minutes ( or wherever you are beginning a sore.) We cured many beginning bedsores this way in the past.

Thanks for the tips I have been looking for an air mattress or topper, used one in hospital recently and it was magic.. have given up with underwear when daytime activities allow. Will try the sheepskin on heals if i can find it, I wriggle too much to put a pillow under calves at the moment. Dont have much movement but can still wriggle. I have the area mnd person visiting next week, so will ask if they loan any thing to help. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back