Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
During the past couple of days, my father has told me that my mother's breathing sounds a little funny. This morning he told me that when he went to get her out of bed to go to the portable potty, she fell back onto the bed holding her head. He said after a few minutes, she was able to get up and go on. He asked her later on if she had a headache and she said no....just dizzy.

My question is this: Is this a sign that her breathing is finally being affected?

"My question is this: Is this a sign that her breathing is finally being affected?"

Could be, but I don't think so - when a persons breathing is affected they get headaches from the CO2 that their system is retaining and not getting rid of because of compromized breathing.

I would encourage you to get this checked out, don't take chances.

Hi, kylisa ... it could be a drop in blood pressure when she goes from lying down to sitting up. That happens with a lot of people. They have to wait a moment before getting up for their b/p to adjust. If it happens again, mention it to her doctor ...

Good luck.

Guess I got an answer today.

My father told me that my mother woke him up at 5 am this morning. He thought she needed to use the bedside potty but, when he got into her room, she was smothering.
He said that after he sat her up in the bed, she wrote on the board that she couldn't breath. So, I told him to go find her a bed wedge to keep her in an upright position. We have also left a message for the ALS Clinic to let them know about this new developement.

It seems like she is a candidate for a BiPap.

My dad has also been having dizziness and has actually colapsed two times within this week. I guess this is normal with his disease but very scary for my mom, the first time he hit his head very hard when he fell. His FVC is 29% so I guess this contributes to his fainting.

Kirstin
dad with bulbar diagnosed 3/2008

Hi there Kirstin. Welcome but sorry about your dad. Is he on a Bipap at all? He may need to use it more if he isn't already using it in the daytime. Dizziness and falling down isn't considered "normal" with ALS.

AL.

Last edited:
HI Kirstin I have had dizziness for three years the Doctors don't know why they put me on some thing for it and I have been all wright eversince. And I have had ALS> 17 years.
GOD BLESS YOU & YOUR MOM & DAD
Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back