Reason
Loved one DX
Country
ca
State
alberta
City
edmonton
Hi, I know I haven't been around lately, but my life is no longer my own. Could someone tell me in plain English, what the side effects of Rilutek are, and is it really effective enough for an 81 year old. Also, it is said to possibly extend life expectancy by 3- 6 months, but at what end? My dad is very concerned about this aspect of it.
Dukey

Hi I'm on rilatec for 4 months and I haven't noticed any side effects. I've heard it only slows the progression the disease down 6 mo to a 1year.

Vicki:-D

rilutek side effects

I googled rilutek side effects and came up with this site.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/riluzole_ad.htm.

I didn't read the whole thing so I don't know if it is what you are looking for. Hope its OK to post the link. If not it'll probably be gone from the post pretty quickly. Huh Al? :mrgreen:

Rilutek

My husband is 58 and started Rilutek in November. He feels that if studies show that patient's lived 6 months longer by taking the drug, he will take it!

You know, have worked in medicine since 1986 and so many of these pharmaceutical companies doing these double blind studies etc., really need data just to continue to market this stuff.

I hope Rilutek does what it claims to do but sure wish that SOMEBODY would find a cure for ALS soon! The disease is claiming far too many people and needs something better than Rilutek claiming 5 or 6 additional months~!

Forgive me for being negative, just tired.

Thanks for the input. And I agree, this is the most horrible of diseases. I have never heard of lithium being an option. What is it supposed to do? And would it interefere with BP meds?

Dukey

hi dukey, i was taking it but stopped as i had side effects, nausea, headaches feeling very tired. i feel so much better since stopping it quality of life is more impoertant to me

Hey DMH. You're right, if it's a crappy link it's gone. Yours is still here. I sent my Neuro, A reputed researcher in ALS In Canada an email about lithium and he wants to see the paper on this published, and it is supposed to be published in a reputable journal mid Feb. So he has asked me to wait. Ahhh the waiting game. We all know about that. I trust my Neuro. That's a big part of living with this disease.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back