Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
TX
State
VA
City
VA Beach
Hello all. I'm a 23 year old African American male. Just recently (sunday), I felt a numb tingly sensation in my lower right leg. It also felt very heavy and a bit painful, like it was made of sand. I thought nothing of it. It lasted for 15 hours so I went to see a doctor. She gave me meds and sent me home. The next morning the feeling spread to my thigh, and the next day the numbeness went away, both legs felt numb. I was then called back to the doctor. They took an mri, catscan, and and blood tests. All came back good to go. I have never been sick and my family has no history of neuro disease. It has been 6 days since my leg went numb and it has become more difficult to walk. The sensation is also now in my hands and they too are becoming more difficult to use. Possible ALS? Can the disease even progress this fast?

Nope, AJ, not ALS.

First, I never heard of someone so young getting ALS. This disease averages 50 - 60 years old. I recently saw a database of 1800 ALS patients and none were your age.

Second, ALS is about muscles FAILING, not about feelings. You describe a lot of feeling tingly, numb, heavy, painful. But those could be anything, and they are not symptoms of ALS.

In ALS, muscles don't work; they don't contract. But there's no feeling of weakness or exhaustion or weirdness; they just don't move, limp, paralyzed.

If it continues, follow up with your GP doctor, but don't worry about ALS.

First,

Thank you so much for your reply!
And that def makes sense. I'm having no trouble moving my legs their just weak for some reason. Like I'm walking in mud. But thy still move. My also feel weird. Like theirs nothing in them at all. I still have motion in them also. But it's neckline more difficult to brush my teeth and grip things. This doesn't sound like ALS at all still? I also jave random twitches throughout the day.

Also. It's been 6 days since my first symptom. Can ALS even progress that fast? Hope I'm mot annoying you with all of the questions. Just afraid of the unknown.

It's not ALS. Follow up with your doctor and he/she will figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back