Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Merrick
Have had twitching and muscle spams throughout my whole body for around 2 months. Mostly in the arms, hands, legs, feet and toes, but everywhere else also. Also am very fatigued and feel like my muscles and joints are tired. Despite all this, I have no noticeable weakness, meaning i haven't dropped anything or been unable to hold something, etc. Saw a Neurologist and he ran of bunch of tests: CT of the Head (Normal, MRI of the Brian (came back normal), EEG (normal), Evoked Potential (normal), bloodwork (normal, except for a positive Mono test oddly enough which could explain the fatigue/tiredness). The EMG, which i hear is the gold standard, is still pending as they just did it yesterday (2 on the upper and 3 on the lower, including upper and lower part of the neck, not sure what that means but that's what it said on the sheet). I've heard some stories of an EMG being fine and people still having ALS, but I read in the sticky main thread that seems like a misnomer. With me already having twitching and spasms, if it was indeed caused by ALS, the EMG would pick it up, correct? Sorry if you get these sort of questions a lot, just worried as a young guy (25) with these kind of symptoms.

Hi JRM,
Yes, the EMG would pick up ALS. Every time. In fact, the EMG will find the disease PRIOR to any symptoms becoming apparent.
25 is a bit young for ALS. Not unheard of, but a rare occurrence in an already rare disease.
Twitching and muscle spasms can be anything.
The beginning of ALS does NOT feel tired or fatigued. It doesn't feel anything. Only the MOTOR nerves are involved, so the muscles simply don't work.

I wouldn't sweat the EMG results. There are so many things this could be, some benign, some curable, some partly disabling, but don't worry about getting a fatal result. Your symptoms just don't fit ALS.

Relax. Good luck.
--Mike

Hi JRM,
Yes, the EMG would pick up ALS. Every time. In fact, the EMG will find the disease PRIOR to any symptoms becoming apparent.
25 is a bit young for ALS. Not unheard of, but a rare occurrence in an already rare disease.
Twitching and muscle spasms can be anything.
The beginning of ALS does NOT feel tired or fatigued. It doesn't feel anything. Only the MOTOR nerves are involved, so the muscles simply don't work.

I wouldn't sweat the EMG results. There are so many things this could be, some benign, some curable, some partly disabling, but don't worry about getting a fatal result. Your symptoms just don't fit ALS.

Relax. Good luck.
--Mike
Thanks for your response as it has put me more at ease. I figured that given my age it would be an extraordinarily rare thing to happen but I was naturally nervous. Should have the EMG tomorrow so I'll know. At the start of it I was thinking MS (naturally assuming the worst, which is a terribly way to go about it I know) but the MRI and other clear tests seem to have discounted that. I suppose it could be anxiety related or benign fasciculation. I don't know much about Mono but i tend to doubt that could be causing all this but who knows.

EMG results came back fine, so that puts ALS to bed. All the test results have been good so maybe it's down to anxiety/stress or something viral. Just have to keep on it I guess and see where it goes.

Thanks for the results, JRM. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back