Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Winnetka
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I have been lurking for the past couple of weeks and those that participate in this forum are truly heroes.

I am a 31 year old male. About a month ago, I had what I would call an "attack" where I got numbness in all my extremities, pins and needle feelings in my feet and had some difficulty walking and using a pencil. A lot of that has seemed to subside, but for the past week I have noticed that my right leg is considerably weaker than my left. For example, sometimes I will trip going up stairs because I didn't lift my right foot high enough over the step or sometimes I will stumble while walking because my right foot gets caught in the ground. I feel like I have to be conscious of how I walk, which I've never had to do in my life. I am able to stand on my toes but much more difficult with right foot and can barely stand on my right leg while it is fairly easy with my left leg. My muscles in both legs also feel very stiff and my right foot will cramp up after about 10 minutes on a stationary bike making it difficult to continue. I am able to walk and somewhat run, but gait feels unsteady. I notice a difference between my right quad and left quad and also the muscles in my right foot that flex the toes are significantly weaker than the muscles in my left foot. I will be making an appointment with a neurologist this week to check things out. I saw my pcp shortly after the "attack", but at that time I didn't have these right leg symptoms, he did a very brief neurological exam and couldn't find anything... the only thing so far I have that could explain this is my vitamin d level is at a 29, which is definitely insufficient. Does this sound als related or am I being a hypochondriac? Thanks so much for listening.

Anything that starts with an attack of sensory symptoms and then subsides is not ALS. ALS is a purely motor neuron disease that only goes in one direction. That's the good news, the bad news is you seem to have something going on, so follow up your PCP. Good luck, you don't belong here.
Vincent

ALS doesn’t involve numbness and tingling, nor cramping.
Tripping is a problem when you can’t lift your foot up.
Vincent is right. It doesn’t sound like ALS, but there is something less ominous going wrong.
Good luck. We can’t help you, but you should see your PCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back