Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Hubby's toes are curling, and it looks like he may have the beginning of pressure sores on two toes where they are rubbing against his shoes. We've gone to larger shoes to compensate for the swelling, but it seems like that just gives more room for the curling. We're thinking about corn pads on the toes to stop the friction.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions?

I remember a FB post about shoes that helped prevent this somehow. Will try to remember....

Once Krissy was in a wheelchair, she wore giant puffy slippers to keep her feet comfortable.

There are shoes with neoprene uppers. They close with velcro so they are adjustable to accomodate swelling.
Vincent

I'm seeing a PM&R doc at end of month about Botox treatment for my curly toes. Or, orthotics that could help.
Debbie

Gentle stretching will help with the toes curling. Every morning, in addition to his ROM exercises, my hubby gets his fingers and toes stretched.

Gentle stretching will help with the toes curling. Every morning, in addition to his ROM exercises, my hubby gets his fingers and toes stretched.

If you add a little coconut oil to this process it feels even better.

I have had two rounds of Botox injections into the bottom of my foot to help with curling toes. The injections were pretty painful, at least for me, and wildly expensive. But they have helped tremendously. It's helped with the rubbing in shoe issue.

Does he need to wear shoes? We stuck to extra-wide acrylic socks unless going out, in which case we used XW Propet Cronus slipper/shoes that do not create toe pressure. You could also try paper tape.

Thank you all! Yes, he still wear shoes as he goes into the office twice a week and out as often as possible. Hopefully it will be warm enough soon for him to feel comfortable in sandals, but as his feet are now getting cold I don't think that's going to happen in the house.

After two days in the larger shoes the toes look better already, so I'll start stretching those toes regularly. I also like the idea of the shoes that wrap (I have slippers like that on back order...of course)--I think that's next. We're also dealing with more swelling. The knee hi compression socks worked well for awhile, but his entire leg is now swelling and they are leaving angry creases at the top. Here's where more sleeping would be good because we could put him on his head (lol) and hook up the Trilogy, but since he's working from home he resists the naps. I've quit asking him to quit because work clearly excites him and gives him a reason for getting up in the morning. Sigh...

How is the paper tape used?

Wrap around the affected toes just as a layer of protection. Similarly, it can be used on the nose bridge for those w/ nasal masks rubbing.

I should have remembered we also used loose lambs wool for the toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back