Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
I just got a new bipap, so I moved the old one to my easy chair in front of the tv. With the bipap on, I can't stay awake more than a few minutes, in spite of a full 8 hours last night.

Had my first CO2 blood test yesterday, and it is elevated: pCO2 = 55. Normal is 20 to 40. Tech said 55 is slightly elevated. How high can it safely go?

Hi Grey beard. don't know the answer to your question but that was the level that my husband was at in October when he had his test. I asked the pulmno the same question but kinda got a shrug and no answer. do you have a bipap or a trilogy?

my hubby only uses his trilogy at night but has been getting very tired and just started using it at nap time too. doesn't have any apparent need for it the rest of the day. no headaches either. I think slightly elevated is slightly elevated= not too bad ...

Thanks, Barbie. VA just gave me the latest and greatest Resmed for ALS. It is supposedly automatic: learns by monitoring my breathing for 30 minutes. That's what they told me. They were shocked that I had adjusted the Respironics AVAPS myself. I learned that from our own Laurie Gelb. The new one is much gentler, as it ramps the pressure up gradually, unlike the other models that seem to be air-on, air-off. It is definitely lower pressure than what they had given me with the prior ones, and lower than a local commercial rep had set before I got the first VA unit.

I am holding on to the AVAPS as long as I can, for backup, and for convenience. I don't always have somebody around to move it for me. I'm using the Resmed all night, and the AVAPS in front of tv.

I would reserve that question for a pulmonologist who is familiar with ALS. My doctor said it can vary because the body gets used to handling it. Only your pulmo knows for sure.

Hey Mike, welcome back. We missed you.

Just today I was wondering how to get in contact with you Mike. Have you found outside activities? Look around for an Old Bold Pilots group.

Thanks, guys. My computer stopped working so I finally bought another one.

yeah Mike missed you-thought you might have started some new adventures..you deserve it but we would miss you...well Ill only miss you for another year or so, but the group would sure miss you!
As for CO2, the pulmonologist in the Houston ALS clinic (Appells) had me intentionally hyperventilate first before measuring my CO2-that lowers the value and she said that needs to be done before meaasuring it, and she said it was OK.

Interesting, Neil, thanks.

GB, it's not high CO2 per se that causes problems, but things that stem from it: reduced O2 [though the body compensates through faster breathing up to a point considerably higher than 55, usually], decreased pH that can cause heart and other problems, less efficient breathing that makes the other parts of the equation worse. But a single measurement isn't definitive and -- broken record alert -- tweaking your settings can often reduce CO2 retention.

The truer measures of your status are things like fatigue, mental alertness vs confusion, O2 on oximetry. As one step toward better understanding how you're doing, I would start using an oximeter to track sats but mainly pulse at specific times, like just before bed, as soon as you wake up in the am or after a nap, after a tube feed, etc. I would monitor the RR on the BiPAP data (as well as the extent to which it correlates w/ IPAP/Vt). And of course, track how you feel when in terms of body and mind.

Welcome back, Mike!

>Welcome back, Mike!

Ditto that!

glad you are back Mike! We missed you!

Was wondering just the other day where Mike had gone. Glad to have you back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back