Lost a loved one
Country
Br
State
São Paulo
City
Tupã
Hello everyone

My name is Rodrigo, 22 years old from Brazil.

My uncle passed away from ALS.

My symptoms started in the end of December, with a discomfort in my right foot and burning sensation. Then the twitches started all over my body, legs, feet, hands, arms, even in my jaw. Sometimes my hand or foot will jump really quickly. And i have a lot of saliva and mucus on my throat and the feeling something is stuck.Also felt pins and needles. And a inner vibration in my anklee.
I have fatigue in my legs, sometimes i stumble in the floor, dragging my foot.
I still can walk in my toes and heels.

So i visited first a Orthopedist, and he checked my strenght and reflexes said i was normal and told me i have Restless Leg Syndrome and sent me to a neuro.

I told the neuro about my uncle and my fears and he just checked my reflexes really quickly and sent me home and gave me pills for anxiety.

So i visited another neuro, and i did an MRI, blood and urine tests and last EMG of all limbs.
The MRI just showed a sinusitis, the blood exams vitamin d 25-hydroxy was low and the potassium was in the minimum.

So i traveled to another city for the EMG for upper and lower limbs, i told the doc and he said i was too young to worry about this. So the EMG was normal and he said that i shouldn't worry about it anymore.

Back to the neurologist, he gave me a vitamin d and some antidepressants.

But i'm really concerned because i'm dropping things and when i'm typing in the keyboard, the character won't go even that i type, it's like my finger is weak or i will type the wrong character.

I've been crying a lot, been desperate and worried. I'm in the last year of my college and i'm going to move abroad but now i don't know if i should because of this situation.

Please help!
I appreciate all answers!

Thanks a lot

I nicely ask these questions. You've been seen three times by highly trained, highly educated Neurologists... why don't you believe them? Who would you believe?

Burning and pins and needles are not a sign of ALS.
Bodywide twitching is not a sign of ALS onset.
Clean clinical exams are a sign it's not ALS.
Clean EMG is a sign it's not ALS.
3 neuros telling you it's not ALS is a sign it's not ALS.

This sounds like anxiety--either caused by being in your last year of college or caused by your uncertainty about moving abroad.
Relax, you do not have ALS. Just learn to deal with the stress of the arrival of adulthood.

Please listen to the doctors. You don't have ALS or they would be doing alot more testing on you. I know you probally have the fear in the back of your head since your uncle has ALS. That is totally understandable but it is extremely rare for someone of your young age yet to have ALS and for it to run in a family. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's still rare. You appear to be under stress and you are at a stressful point in your life. Anxiety or stress is nothing to be ashamed up. But, please don't let it consume your life. Go get some help for it now. I would suggest you log off of here and avoid Dr. Google. Make a appointment to see a counselor and see if it help at all. Also, make sure you are keeping to the same sleeping patterns and eating well-balanced meals. Make sure you keep your body hydrated with lots of water. You are going to be just fine. Believe in yourself! Kim

Did you even read the Stickies for newcomers? Your answers are there.

Hello my friends !

Thanks for replying my post and sorry for my late reply, i work all the day and now i am at the college.

Clearwater Al, you're right, i'm out of my mind, i'm trying to control myself about that, thanks a lot my friend.

Dusty7, it's been quite a stressful time because of my last year studying and the decisions about the future and as you said the arrival of adulthood, it so many problems and some many things to solve, i need to deal better with it.

Skipper66 I was a few years younger when my uncle had ALS, i had a lot of contact with her during this period and that let me really traumatized and sad for her. And these fear as you said is consuming my life. I will look for help as soon as possible.

Thank's everyone for helping me out.

ECpara, sorry i didn't, i was a bit nervous and anxious.

Paying more attention from now on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back