Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
In a little over 90 days 23 people have logged in as Newly Diagnosed. (It could be more because I read the just the Threads pretty much titled that way.)

An article in one of our local newspapers covering the local IBC stated... recently (within months) 10 people have been diagnosed with ALS. (I haven't seen any new member Bio claiming NC as their state yet.)

I think that old number of "5000 a year" is about to change.

PS. It's more like a regional newspaper... true local newspapers are vanishing. But still....

Al, I'm thinking part of it here on the forum is more people reaching out for support. In today's society where people are realizing the value of support groups, it's to be expected. Most really effective groups meet weekly and also share phone numbers so there is always someone to reach out to when in crisis. The ALSA and mda support groups only meet once a month in most cases and that doesn't do a lot of good when in melt down. Our local ALSA recently emailed a link to this site to the pals and CALS in our group. So far haven't seen any new members here from my locale but at least they know we're available. In a sense, we meet several times a day.

Hey Dalvin, thanks for the reply. I agree about more people reaching out. I still wonder though... ALS and MNDs are not reportable diseases. And... I know so many people who have computers but do not type (even hunt and peck style), they're mouse-able users only. So, that number has to be considered too. I know some would like it to be kept "rare" but that just may not be the case. Yes, rare in comparable numbers to other diseases but... I think the number are growing. Even the unexplainable numbers of Veterans being diagnosed over the population who didn't serve. Something is changing.

Maybe some information has gone out in relation to the awareness raised by the ice-bucket challenge? Which leads to more people finding their way here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back