Reason
Loved one DX
Country
Uni
State
TX-Texas
City
Sachse
Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere on the site. My stepfather was diagnosed a couple of months ago but we believe he has had symptoms for a at least two years before. He's currently home on a vent and bedridden. My mother is his primary caregiver and she 's wearing out. Now I am worried about them both as they are both in their seventies.

Our current worst issue is his severe panic attacks happening daily. He is on anti depressants and we do have anti-anxiety meds but they put him completely out for long periods of time.

With the wealth of information here I just know someone has gone thru this and can perhaps have an idea of something else we can try.

I would be ever so grateful for any suggestions.

>Our current worst issue is his severe panic attacks happening daily. He is on anti depressants and we do have anti-anxiety meds but they put him completely out for long periods of time.

which ones?

Who is his primary ALS neuro?

Are you close enough to give your mom some relief.

Is either your dad or mom vets?

Max

by the way kiddo, I don't really mean this to sound callous. I'm having a hard time communicating today.

You know you're only about four hours north of one of the finest ALS clients in the world one by Dr. Appel at Houston medical. If possible, it would be well worth your time to visit his clinic with your parents to gain both a second opinion and some guidance as to how to proceed.

Kind regards,

Max

I'm sorry I don't know which anti-depressant but the anti-anxiety med is Ativan. I am close enough to help and do as much as possible. Was thinking about a leave of absence from work if need be. May be at that point now. No neither are veterans.

Thank you for answering.

The doc may need to change or adjust the dosage

I had the same situation with anxiety. Doctor switched meds around and things are somewhat better. I rather had him sleep all day than crying all day. Please get some help for your mom. My pals is also vented and I personally know the toll it takes. I'm here on my own with a little help. Exhausting.........I'm glad you are able to help out.

Debbie

she needs daily help or she may drop dead from exhaustion. I am not kidding--if they can not afford it, you and any other sibs should all pitch in for some help...housekeeper, CNA or if he is vented then even a nurse. bedridden and vented is 24/7/365 care. that is too much for one person.

You are great to be involved with them, and it may be as simple as adjusting the meds so he doesn't sleep all the time. be sure they are being seen by an ALS doctor or clinic.

all my best,

Barbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back