Come for tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Send your warmth to Canada if you don't need it Max!

Oh how I long for the Pacific Northwest! OTOH my body really doesn't like the cold anymore ...

Attachments

• IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 141
Hey guys,
Thought I'd relate a little incident that happened Friday that's shows just how ignorant most people are about ALS.
It would be funny if ALS wasn't such a serious disease. A few hours after I recovered from my chocking spell a guy I'd know back in high school contacted me on FB. He asked about military service and was complaining about the fact that he'd been forced to take a medical discharge because of food allergies. He'd seen my post on FB about getting chocked that morning and asked about it. I told him I had ALS and that the VA considers it as service connected with a rating of 100 percent. His comment- that's GOOD. I was like, are kidding me, ALS good. After I explained to him what ALS is and what it means to have it the conversation kind of died out. This might not be the right spot for this bit I thought it was both sad and rather indicative of the general publics awareness despite all that's being done to raise awareness

>After I explained to him what ALS is

did you before the diag?

He never asked about me until after he spent a lot of time talking about how life sucked having food allergies. How I was doing seemed like a polite attempt at concern. My real point here is that with all the things being done to raise awareness, most people aren't paying attention

Most of the people I know had no idea what ALS was, they had heard of Lou Gehrigs disease but had no idea how it affects people. I think sometimes people are afraid to ask what is is and other people just don't care unless it has some personal meaning for them. I find the world we live in now a very selfish world. If people (not all ) can't gain something for themselves personally, they don't want to be bothered.

Dana

I had vaguely heard of Lou Gehrig's disease before dad's diagnosis. Never the term ALS. We've never had any family members close or distant ever in a wheelchair. All of this was so new and a shock to us. We are still walking in a fog of disbelief. Kim

>I had vaguely heard of Lou Gehrig's disease before dad's diagnosis

Same here. Had heard of ALS, thought it was just another malady ...

>All of this was so new and a shock to us. We are still walking in a fog of disbelief. Kim

It was a shock to Sandy more than me. I am just beginning to really understand ...

I agree Dana, alot of people are very selfish. Between their phones and internet no one has to look anyone in the eye and talk to them. Self absorbed, so if it doesn't pertain to them they don't care.

Sad really, it makes one wonder what it will be like in the future. My husband and I count people talking or texting while driving. You can pick them out while going down the highway....they are going slower, weaving on the road and head looking down.

>I agree Dana, alot of people are very selfish. Between their phones and internet no one has to look anyone in the eye and talk to them

ah but it does fill a hole for thuse who cannot talk :)

Yes Max that is true and I have made some wonderful friends online, hopeful including you. That is why I said "a lot" and not "all". The internet is a awesome thing but can be bad too. Just like everything else.

Living in the sticks where there is only one widely known department store in town, the internet means I can shop and get anything I need. I talk to people in the UK, Australia, and Canada, all over the world. I have met people with the same disease I have and now don't feel quite so alone.

I hope I did not offend you or anyone here, that was not my intent. It is you notice people driving, shopping and walking and still stuck to their phones and the rudeness that goes with it. I don't own a cell phone. My boys and husband have one. They are not allowed at the table. My husband can not drive a shopping cart and text, can't imagine him driving and texting! :lol:

>I have made some wonderful friends online, hopeful including you

you betcha, Vicki!

>I hope I did not offend you or anyone here, that was not my intent.

none taken, and everyone is free to queue up whatever their bit*h of the day is ... why not have friends to talk & vent to? Almost as entertaining as watching Mark & Al on the DIHALSers :)

i am sure sometime soon there will be complaints about my kids & dogs pics! Ah well :)

Here is Boo hoping for a Princess up in Cairns ...

Attachments

• 6C0137L.JPG
    6C0137L.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 157
Did he kiss it? My oldest granddaughter kissed every we fish we caught when we took her fishing! :lol: My youngest is a girlie girl (not that it is bad) she wouldn't come near them. She admired them from afar.

Max I love all the pictures you post. I wish that more would post pictures of happy times. It gives insight to that person.

>Did he kiss it?

no, but Jenny kissed hers :) no luck, so she stuck with her Kevin (10th grade?).

>Max I love all the pictures you post. I wish that more would post pictures of happy times.

me too ...

.here are a couple -- see how Sandy fixed up our flat in Al Khobar (Saudi Arabia) one Christmas? She can always make lemonade :)

Attachments

• Capture524.jpg
    Capture524.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Capture663.jpg
    Capture663.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4889.jpg
    IMG_4889.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 146
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 158
Lemonade is good. Sometimes that all you have left. My oldest son married his elementary, middle school, high school sweetheart. They were on and off but mostly on.

She was here at our house most of the time. She went just about every where with us. She was one of us. She has given me beautiful granddaughters.

Those are great pictures.

>My oldest son married his elementary, middle school, high school sweetheart.

terriffic! send pics ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back