Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Hereford
City
Hereford
Hi, I'd like some advise please. I have been twitching since june, I twitch in my thighs and knee area all the time, even when I move them it doesn't stop. I have had blood work, CT scans and brain MRI done, all were normal. I have sore thighs that come and go every week or so. For the last 4 weeks approx I have had a sore left bicep, my arm is sore when I lift something or carry some thing heavy. I know als is not perceived weakness but surely it must start mildly and develop over time? My GP isn't concerned, I don't know weather to go back again or trust what they say. I've seen 2 GPs. Thanks for listening, any advise will be hugely appreciated.

My GP is excellent but not a neurologist. Don't freak yourself out. Find out. Make an appointment

Did your GP refer you to a neurologist? I've seen 2 DRs and both say it's benign, one was involved in an als diagnosis, I can't see one if they won't refer me unless I pay. What do you think of my symptoms? Thank you for replying

It does indeed sound benign. The "surely it must start mild" argument has been used by many a BFSer or person with health anxiety to worry themselves into oblivion, so don't go there! Fasciculations and exercise intolerance (what you seemd to be describing) are much more likely BFS than anything else. Follow up with your GP, they will keep a good record of things, and then if you ever have disabling symptoms, you can go to a neurologist well prepared.

Thank you so much for replying, I'm trying hard to keep my anxiety under control. Apparently BFS is a diagnosis by elimination but my DR doesn't think any thing needs eliminating.

Did anything specific in your life happen at the time these twitches started? It is not uncommon that BFS gets triggered by a life event, and the anxiety thinking of that it might be a fatal disease just enhances the symptoms.

If you are worried, you should push for a neuro referral, and get a full clinical exam and an EMG.

I think however that it sounds stress related, and the chances of it being MND at your age are very slim.

Nothing in specific, I am a huge worrier anyway so I do suffer with my anxiety. I want to trust and believe my doctors, it's just hard with all this stuff happening. The sore muscles and constant twitching are a daily reminder of my anxieties, thanks for replying.

Is non stop twitching a symptom of als? My thighs are going mad and have been for months, it's really worrying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back