Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Groveport
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum but have been surfing for a few weeks now. I am currently concerned about my symptoms. Here is some of my health background. I am a type2 diabetic with excellent A1C tests since diagnosed, have been able to control it with metformin and diet for the past 5 years. I have also had a complete thyroidectomy about 10 years ago. After being on Synthroid for 6 years, 5 years ago I began having symptoms of passing out asleep while driving, feeling dizzy, extreme dry mouth at night and my thryoid levels went out off the charts high. The figured out at the Endo Clinic that I had developed type 2 diabetes when my body began rejecting my thryoid medicine suddenly. They switched brand of thyroid meds and put me on metformin and told me that came with the territory of not having a thyroid. I have had many years of feeling off and having strange symptoms since 21 years old. This past years I had been feeling really strange, had chest pains, feelings of dizziness ( i am deaf in right ear since early childhood and ringing constanctly), the ringing had greatly increased as did my balance being even more off recently. I'd alway had a small balance issue which i always attributed to my ringing and inner ear problems, alot of times a couple weeks on meclizine would help with the nausea and dizziness that went with that. This past year I have had many tests done to check on the reason for the dizziness and nausea. All heart tests came out normal.

So in late May of this year I began experiencing a new symptom, my stomache began rolling as if I had a full grown baby in there with constipation/diarrhea at any given sitting. The rolling cramps didnt hurt but they persisted and persisted. I was in and out of the hospital the entire month of June, I was also having a stranged cramping in the side of neck that still continues to come and go, very stange. They concluded that I probably had a bout with irritable bowel. Soon after that in July when those rolling stomache cramps finally stopped, I began noticing a feeling of being jittery or shakey all over my body, especially arms, legs etc along with a feeling of buzzing or electric in my feet and legs, sometimes arms. I was with my mom one day when we had just eaten and about an hour later I asked her to take me home because I suddenly became so exhausted i needed to lay down. Ever since that day those strange feelings have continued on with the addition of body wide twitching, even in face and feeling like I can barely walk without my legs giving out on me they feel very wobbly to me, like Jello. Some days are worse than others. But I wake up feeling shaky and twiching and go to bed the same way. I did go to my doctor and told him my symptoms. He gave me brief exam, including checking my reflexes, he said those appeared normal to him. He said he wanted bloodwork to check enzymes and levels, a couple days later he said that my bloodwork was really good, a1c normal, thyroid 1.3, and the only thing that was slightly abnormal was he said I was very slightly anemic and the muscle enzymes showed some inflammation, he said if the twiching and shaky feeling didnt stop he wanted me to come back because I could be developing some myopathy. That didn't sound good. Well these symptoms have continued, I was looking at my legs today and noticed that my left calf is a bit smaller than my right, I haven't had any muscle cramps in my legs at all and only slight soreness in my feet, hands and arms, kind of like hot spots of soreness or achiness. I want to go back to the doc but at the same i don't.

I am having the buzzing in my legs as i speak, sometimes it seems as if my body feels like I have electric running all through me. Here is a pic of my calves. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi. I'm not a doctor but It sure sounds like something related To the diabetes and thyroid issues, I too have thyroid issues and my endocrinologist has told me even if your levels are good, does not mean you can't or won't have problems. I was givin the advice by my doctor to see a rheumatologist, that might be an idea for you. I have hashimoto thyroid. Stress and anxiety can also make things 100 times worse, I'm guilty of that totally. Good luck and hope things get better for you! :)

Thanks! I have never experienced twitching like this or feeling like my legs will just give out on me, I've noticed that my arms and legs just feel extremely fatigued since this has all started. Even though my PCP told me that my blood work was normal and nothing stood out, I have heard that you can still be depleted of magnesium because it concentrates more in the muscle than in the blood. So I am trying Chelated Magnesium for now to see if it helps with the muscle fatique, at least thats what it feels like to me, and this extreme twitching. I am praying it helps! My thoughts and prayers continue to go out for all PALS and their CALS for a Cure and More Therapies! I do believe God will be releasing major breakthroughs to the scientists and doctors who are working tirelessly to find the cure and more effective therapies. If he released therapies for cancers, aids, diabetes etc, breakthroughs in ALS therapies and cures are soon coming! I believe, I believe, I believe! May he open the eyes of the scientists to see what they have not yet seen or discovered and that the pieces of the puzzle will soon be put together! God Bless and Take Care Friend :)

Am new here and concerned about symptoms. Not used to posting on forums so, sorry if this is longwinded. First off, the Twitching: I have been on Effexor, an antidepressant for a year. It has been known to cause some twitching so, I haven't been concerned with the twitching as it has progressed. Roughly six months ago, I started to notice focal twitching in my left upper arm and right hand. I still wasn't concerned until about three weeks ago, when I noticed that my tricep in my left upper arm had atrophied. It is around 1/4 the size of my right tricep. I am left-handed and am sure that my arms were originally the same size. The twitching has also just recently spread to my left forearm and right deltoid with minor focal twitching. I also get terrible cramps in my calves and feet (especially at night). The right side of my jaw also has twitching and I get "jaw fatigue" when I chew. I also have weird general fatigue. When I went last week to see a doctor, she checked my reflexes, which are fine. She brushed off the atrophy, which she considered subtle, and sent me on my way. I disagree and (knowing my body the way that I do) consider the atrophy significant. Last thing: My legs jerk (usually one at a time) really hard at night as if electricity is running through them.
I am, generally, not a hypochondriac but have developed a mild hysteria over the research.

Thanks for your patience,
Mark

Mark

Maybe you should see another dr. You may have a deficiency of some kind. Look for the simple first. Researching symp toms on line can scare the patootie out of you. My bet it is something treatable and not fatal.

The more you worry the more you will twitc h. Stress is a bad thing for the body. I hope you fine out soon what is wrong and put your mind at ease.

My post went to moderation...it will show up sometime... sorry

Mark,

Your research leaves a lot to be desired.
Had you read the stickies - you would know ALS generally doesn't start with twitching. Atrophy also generally, is the last symptom noted. Restless leg syndrome is not fatal. ( But can be painful to your bed mate - I speak from experience)
Please listen to your doctor

No need for hysteria.

I thought sensory symptoms such as buzzing and tingling where not a symptom of ALS? I just read some PALS saying that they have experienced buzzing and some said tingling in their limbs since they've had ALS. I have been experiencing a buzzing in my left leg that has been constant all night and all day since my symptoms started late July/early August. I hate it! In the last couple of days both of my feet have gone numb when standing for a period, and my hands have been tingling too. I do feel shakiness inside but sometimes I can see it in my hands or feel shaky in my legs when walking or standing. I am not trying to allow fear to overwhelm me, but after reading that buzzing and tingling sensory symptoms are not a symptom and then read that PALS have these symptoms I am just wondering what are the facts? :-?

Pegrod,

Generally ALS is not sensory.
There may be exceptions, but the majority of PALS I know don't have tingling. Neither do I.

It usually start distally and in one place, like a hand or foot. It is not all over and does not spread this quickly. Diabetes can cause nerve damage, so you may want to have it checked out. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Thanks ladies :-D I am really trying to stay positive, I do also want a resolution of all this. I 've had something messing with my health since 21, I am about to be 40 and just get weary with the journey sometimes...have always felt limited in my physically abilities to an extent , prayer really helps me though not concentrate on my body as much as i really would if not! I know God to be a healer. I heard a funny today at church, I have myself seen people walk out of their wheelchairs before, and no these were not benny hinn crusades either. LOL. But at a conference today the preacher said that he once witnessed a handicapped man get up and walk out of his wheelchair, and that as his walking stabilized he began to rejoice and cry, but later in the service the preacher looked over and the man had put himself back into the wheechair and when asked why he would ever go back to it after a complete healing the man emphatically stated that noone could find out he'd been healed or he'd lose his disability benefits. Hey I say lose that darn wheelchair!

Well, getting older also means things slow down and slowly slide south. I can understand about getting weary and frustrated while in limbo. I am 6 1/2 years into this but it took 5 to get answers.

I like your story very funny. You should check out the jokes thread and maybe contribute a joke or two. We need new blood and material.

Since you liked it I will do that...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back