Not open for further replies.

surf

Country
US
State
nj
City
highlands
This is about my 86 yo dad.He has about half power in his right leg.My question is when you have ALS do you lose all power in the leg or can You still move it? When he's on his back he can barely lift his leg off the bed but has enough power to bend his knee with his foot still on the bed while lying down.H e has full strength in foot and ankle.When he stands up with his walker he can lift his bad leg like he's marching in place.He can easily do 20 or so knee to hip raises when standing.It seems most power is from a weak quad.There has been atrophy on bad leg.He just got home after a week in hospital for Pnumonia and 5 weeks of rehab..My question is when ALS sets in does your leg completely lose all power or can you move it? The Drs are puzzled he had clean MRI's on brain,spine and back except for a few enlarged discs? H e has normal strength everywhere else and has no problems eating or swallowing..His GP thinks its bad RA and the Nuero surgeon thought it might be from high sugar levels but they pretty much ruled that out.All blood work is ok except we found out he's anemic.My question is how badly does ALS effect thelegs? Does this sound like he has ALS?

Your Dad hasn't been diagnosed with ALS/MND by a reputable Neurologist. Therefore, all you'd be doing is making assumptions which could turn out to be incorrect.

Why don't you try to make follow up appointments with the Physicians that are already seeing him and wait for tests to rule out conditions or to find out if it's something else?

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back