Not open for further replies.

JEB1979

Country
US
State
PR
City
San Juan
Are EMGs usually very short? The one I had was barely five minutes.

If an EMG is performed while fasciculations are not occurring, could it miss MND symptoms, or at these symptoms ongoing even while fasciculations are not occurring?

I'm just trying to clear these doubts from my mind so I can breathe easy.

If I recall correctly, mine took about an hour.
And, the fact I had been diagnosed with ALS, the EMG needles were placed in my tongue, left arm and left leg. All of them were twitching at the time of the test.

If you wish to know more about EMGs, you may want to send a PM to Forum member "Wright". He is our Forum expert on EMGs and also interpreting its results.

Good luck.

Carlos

I would PM him, but it seems he has not posted since March? Is he still around?

I would PM him, but it seems he has not posted since March? Is he still around?

I believe so. Perhaps he is not posting very often but drops by every now and then and answers PMs whenever he gets the chance.

Carlos

I'll send him a PM after my next appointment with the neuro...thank you. I guess it's either not normal for an EMG to be that short or there were jus no visible symptoms, which is good news.

My EMG was about 25-30 minutes (not including the NCV part which was about 20 minutes long) and they only did one leg from hip to foot so about 15 or 16 needle placements. It is the leg I was having the most symptoms in so I felt like they were pretty thorough..I do have some issues with my left hand also and mentioned it but they did not test it on the EMG. The EMG was uncomfortable, so although I think they should have tested my left hand/arm I am kind of glad they didn't because after the leg NCV/EMG I was ready to leave..5 minutes seems short but if you only have one problem area and it looked normal to them than maybe they did not need to do more. My test was normal.

My first was was 1 hr 45 minutes for EMG and 1 hr NCV. The used a 4" small gauge needle and even went through my tongue and cheek from under the jaw. I had mostly problems with my left foot, leg, arm and it showed problems I wasn't even aware of in the right side which developed problems a couple years later.

Mine lasted about an hour I think, the nerve and needle parts. They poked me in my right leg a couple places, my left leg once, my back in two places, my left hand, and right near the pubis. It was dirty only on my right leg, which really surprised me since I have a weak (and getting weaker every damn day) left hand, and poor swallowing/raspy voice (also getting worse). When I go to the ALS clinic, I imagine I am in for a much longer one.

What did your Neuro say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back