00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Just looking for a differentiation.

From what I know, fatigue is a feeling, weakness is not a feeling but rather simply not being able to do something.

Am I close?

Yup. In my world that's how it is, pretty much.

Thanks Elaine :)

I had a neurologist who stated something along the lines of picking up a kettle that normally weighs a pound or two seems like it weighs 20 pounds. Again, accurate?

Don't think you need to second guess your neuro on this type of thing.

As a beloved forum member's signature reads: " I'm not getting weaker. Things are getting heavier "

BTW... Thanks for the freezing rain you sent our way!

Oh yeah? We have had plain ol regular rain off and on today. It's making the two feet of snow from the weekend a big ol slushy mess.

Great to see a fellow Canadian!

The wonderful guy I quoted is from St. Catharine's .

I'm sad to say... There's a bunch of us Canucks here.

Unfortunate, but also fortunate in terms of people finding a place for really great support, right?

That being said, as someone who is in the process of being diagnosed, I think the term "clinical weakness" is a bit of a cop-out on the part of the nuerologists. In August, I could do 50 push-ups. In October, I could still do 30 with ease. Today, I did 2 push-ups and my arms were shaking on the first one. But of course, the neurologists say I'm not "clinically weak". One neurologist suggested that I might "just" have a primary muscular disease (in spite of dirty EMGs), and when I asked how we're going to treat it, he said, "Ibuprofen". So far, I've now had FIVE EMGs by 3 neurologists - 1 showed peripheral neuropathy of my legs, the other 2 were clean. One EMG of my arms showed chronic and acute denervation, the other was supposedly clean. I show them how I shake, how my muscles quiver, but all I hear is "you're not clinically weak". blah blah blah. Yes, I am getting bitter. Don't get me wrong - hopefully I'm never clinically weak and have to endure the hell of ALS. But there has to be some sort of recognition of problems before "clinical weakness", especially when there are obvious signs of problems such as EMGs, hyperreflexia, clonus, spasticity...

Clinical weakness, IMO, is just a cop-out. It's like they just want to let you suffer until you're so far gone that they can't do a darn thing for you anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back