Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
My wife needs an adjustable bed to assist her in bed...she has had ALS for about 18 months now. She can no longer walk or stand...and cannot roll over in bed at all on her own. An adjustable bed will help significantly but we do not want a hospital bed which is what insurance will pay for. Looking to see what others have done? We are looking at a sealy product but just wanted to see if anyone has other advice. Since insurance will most likely not pay for this...we are trying to be practical but I want her to be comfortable. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Matt

we are in the same situation with my husband unable to turn himself at night. We are considering the sleep number bed, but would have to get a king bed so each of us could adjust up and down. Have a queen now, plus they are expensive. I would like to hear comments also.

Matt I have a xlong twin hospital bed with a remote, and temperpedic mattress. Als guardian angels might be willing to pay for shipping?

This is a post that Ann (abbas_child) made about sleeping. It isn't really about a particular bed, but rather how she was able to sleep comfortably. I bookmarked it for future reference because it makes a lot of sense to me and might come in handy some day

Joni, I've been meaning to see if the bed you have was fully electric... if so, I'm very interested! Thanks,
Helen

Helen I think the remote is battery operated, it is pouring rain here, I will look when I get out to the shop ok

no rush Honey! I think we're getting that rain tomorrow.

I met with the hospital bed sales person last Monday, who basically circled one bed and 1 mattress and said "that's what insurance will pay for..." So I'm going to keep looking into options. I guess I'll also need a trapeze and some sort of thing at the foot of the bed to keep the covers off my feet. If you know the model no. I can just research it to.

Matt. I haven't checked out the links Sadiemae (Lori) posted but one thing to consider would be to look for a bed that can be raised or lowered. This is more for the caregiver so as not to hurt their backs, etc. My husband used a hospital bed which worked really well and he was comfortable. We both would have preferred a queen sized adjustable bed but we couldn't find anything close by that was height adjustable. Take care. Yasmin.

The bed is electric, with a remote

we have the temperpedic king with the split adjustments. way too much money and not all that comfortable! My husband insisted on buying it...
I am short, so the height adjustment is not a problem when I get him out of bed.

The height adjustment of my electric bed has been such a boon in allowing me to continue making standing transfers for a much longer time. As I transition (any day now) to using a transfer board the height adjustment will continue to be a blessing.
My whole bed can be tilted with either the head or foot up which allows my CALS to have a gravity assist if I need to be pulled up or down in the bed. I also like that I can have my feet elevated a bit without using the knee break.

My husband and I desperately wanted to remain in the same bed as ALS has taken so much from us and we weren't prepared to give up sleeping together. Consequently, I spent months of sleepless nights trying to move his rigid legs so that he could get some relief. I looked at a number of adjustable beds but had concerns about how they would work. We finally got a Carroll hospital bed. It has a solid foundation (instead of springs which made it sink when he was still able to sit on the edge of the bed for transfers). It is electric and fully adjustable. We now roll it to one side of the room so that he can transfer from his wheelchair or commode to bed and once he is comfortably in bed, we push it next to our Queen-sized bed. There is a small gap between the two which I fill with a rolled blanket (affectionately called the "crevass filler" as we like glaciers). Because he can raise and lower the entire bed, the two beds are flush against one another. He is able to adjust the head and legs himself which means less accumulation of saliva at night and reduced swelling in his feet. It means I get to sleep! In the morning I roll the beds apart which allows me to turn him onto one side and the other for bathing and change of position. I wouldn't be able to do this very easily or safely (for my back) had we opted for a king-sized split bed. After so much worry, the quality of both of our lives has been very significantly improved. I hope you find a good solution for you and your wife. These decisions are SO stressful!

Providing care for the PALS once more immobility sets in is made manageable by the twin size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back